Qad Exodus in Idaho!

baskarcher

Jan 28, 2013
Hey folks-

I just wanted to let you guys know that if you are using or plan on using the qad exodus full blade model in Idaho then you are/will be breaking the law. I was really excited to use these heads this year but I was nervous about them being considered barbed. I went to purchase some at Cabelas in Boise and asked the employee if they were legal and he said that they have sold a lot of them and that they were, but I still wasn't convinced. So I contacted IDFG and they are indeed considered a barbed head in Idaho. I have the email if you would like to see it.

Just a heads up for the Idaho folk!

Thanks for posting baskarcher, and good on you for following through with the call to IDFG.
Maybe a call or visit to Cabelas is in order to set them straight. I know everybody needs to be responsible like you, but it may help a new guy/gal not break the law.

Cabelas sells a lot of illegal stuff.  Example:  expandable broadheads,  lighted nocks etc..  If you don't read the regs you wouldn't know.  Don't get me wrong it's a great store however I've noticed it's more eastern United States or caters to them I mean have you hunted in any oak trees around here lately?

I would call them back and make sure they are talking about the right blades design QAD offers. The swept blade model is barbed, the full blade model is NOT barbed. They are mistaken.

PREZ said:
I would call them back and make sure they are talking about the right blades design QAD offers. The swept blade model is barbed, the full blade model is NOT barbed. They are mistaken.

The full blade is illegal too. Do to the blades dropping behind the inserts and being back on the shaft. In Idaho all broad heads have to be in front of the shaft as well as not barbed.

Here is the email I received from F&G with the picture he attached.

Thank you for your e-mail asking questions about the QAD Exodus broadheads.  Idaho rules for archery hunting big game include a prohibition from using “Arrows or bolts having barbed broadheads, which is a broadhead with any portion of which forms an angle less than 90 degrees with the shaft or ferrule.”  Attached is a word document with a note about the Exodus broadhead, hi-lighting the angle of attachment with the shaft.  It appears from the picture, that a portion of the broadhead forms an angle less than 90 degrees with the shaft.  While it appears the design is not consistent with other “barbed” broadheads on the market, the design falls within the Idaho definition of a barbed broadhead.  Unfortunately, these broadheads cannot be used for big game hunting in Idaho.  They may be used for predator, unprotected nongame, and bird hunting.  [/color][/size] [/color]
[/size]
Bradley B. Compton
[/color]Assistant Chief, Wildlife[/color]Idaho Department of Fish & Game[/color]P.O. Box 25[/color]Boise, ID 83707[/color]208.334.2920[/color]brad.compton@idfg.idaho.gov

Attachments

• exodus.docx
    126.6 KB · Views: 7
I see their point. I guess the over shaft technology is what they are talking about. That's too bad they are great heads. Thanks for the heads up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back