Quartering or deboning

planebow

Dec 29, 2012
With an elk down how far is it packing befor you debone.  So far all the elk I have killed was within a mile from a rode so just quartered and packed. This year I plan on getting a little futher of the beaten path witch means futher packing if I connect with an elk.

I prefer to keep the meat on the quarters, as it tends to stay cleaner for processing once  I get home. That being said if I over 2 miles of walking I will bone out the fronts
and possibly the hinds.

I did get a quarter once that had "bone sour" according to the meat processor.  Since then, I have deboned at the kill site and once, after we got the quarter to camp.  I don't know if the spoilage was due to the bone and not being able to cool it down quick enough?

i am too lazy and getting too old to pack out 80lbs of bone.......last pack was 4-1/2 miles one way....it was snowing so i had plenty of time....

I debone everything now if I am not by any road access.  Have done it many times and can now get the meat off and cooled fast and out pretty fast now that i have a method.

Can't imagine carrying a bone more than a few feet from the carcass. I quarter first, then debone. If I have help, they can be skinning out the quarters while i get the backstraps and tenderloins out-- then I'll bone out the qtrs.--Bill

I like to leave the leg bones in due to the fact that it gives the meat good shape that packs easier (this also depends on your pack)than a jelly like sack of boned meat. I also feel the meat cools better on the leg bones verses a large compressed bag of meat- the center seems to take longer to cool.......... But after the meat has cooled a bit- ( like on the second load) and if its a death march, Im boning it.

THEBUGLER said:
I like to leave the leg bones in due to the fact that it gives the meat good shape that packs easier (this also depends on your pack)than a jelly like sack of boned meat. I also feel the meat cools better on the leg bones verses a large compressed bag of meat- the center seems to take longer to cool.......... But after the meat has cooled a bit- ( like on the second load) and if its a death march, Im boning it.

^I agree, unless it is a 6+mile trek and 1 or 2 guys then we will bone them out.

Plus it always seems like there is a lot more work cutting up the elk when boned out.

Unless we somehow get lucky and shoot one close to the truck, we usually bone them out.  There is a  lot of extra weight packing those bones out of the woods. 

I am with Dirk on this one, the leg bones we leave sometimes as it's easier to hang and bone a back quarter than doing it on the ground. 

My last elk was only 200 yrds from my car, and I think I would have deboned it but I was on call at a hospital and a little nervous that the beeper would go off.  We debone just about everything.  We process our own meat so it doesn't take any extra time to do it in the field.

i like to keep it on the bone because it seems like its easier to pack and stays cleaner  I usually have to make 2/3 trips anyhow so loosing a little weight is negligible. I will debone if it is too hot.

rkkmeyers said:
i like to keep it on the bone because it seems like its easier to pack and stays cleaner  I usually have to make 2/3 trips anyhow so loosing a little weight is negligible. I will debone if it is too hot.

Spot on rkkmeyers.

I always prefer to debone.
To keep the meat cleaner (if terrain allows) I quarter and hang each quarter then just cut the meat from the bone and let it drop in the game bag.

As I get older I realize I need to learn how to do the de-boning method just to lighten the load a little more. I am planning on trying it with the next bull we take.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back