Question about non-responsive elk

MT_mulies

Dec 28, 2012
This last week I spent my week in the hills. We had elk all around us. It had snowed over the weekend and the moon was disappearing. I thought that I nailed it for time to be hunting. Well we got out there and for 5 days I couldn't get elk to respond to me what so ever. I tried using diaphragm calls, open reed calls, closed reed calls, elk bugles being aggressive and non aggressive, racking trees, and even sneaking as close as possible. Nothing I did worked. The elk would look towards where I was calling and then just keep walking or eating. All week I only had 1 cow elk come in and that was in. The elk were anywhere from 70 yards up to 1.5 miles. We saw about 25 bulls ranging from spike to GIGANTOR and about 40 cows/calves. The average elk was probably about 250-300 yards. The biggest herd we saw was 8 cows with one huge bull. Everything else was 1 bull with usually a cow/calf pair.
Any thoughts on what was going on? Is the rut not quite here yet? Were we 1 week early?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thats got to be frustrating. It has been hot here, i was in the same boat all weekend without one bugle. They were talking lastweek so who knows whats going on. Historically this is they week for me they start getting very vocal.

That is why it can be so frustrating but that is elk hunting..just have to keep positive until you find a bull that wants to play the game otherwise try different tactics. Things should be heating up in many places late this week...I heard maybe ten Bulls with one good interaction this weekend in nid

Mt_mulies I feel your pain. Hunted the 2 wkds sat,sun, Monday all day, six days total. Yeah heard some bugles last ten minutes of light, first ten minutes. Saw lots of elk. Could not get them to play the game. I cannot remember ever having such a tight-lipped start to a season.  I'm usually tagged out by now so go figure. We'll the good thing is that it's a long season and I live here. But your not kidding- really tough going right now

Might trying using a "Heads Up Decoy". The elk hear your call, but if they can visually confirm that an "elk" is there I'm sure they'd respond or actually come towards you. Check out "Elk Hunting University" from Elk101.com. They talk about non responding elk. It's a great DVD!

Rough, usually you should get some action by mid September.  I would say work on getting closer and in front of moving herds more than trying to rely on the calls to move animals to you.  Sound like you had some close calls, that just how a lot of the otc areas go with very call shy animals.

There are several things that could have brought about the quietness and the lack of response from the elk. Factors such as weather. Hot weather usually shuts down the rut with the exception of late afternoons and very early mornings but since you said it snowed, that reason makes no sense really. Another factor could be pressure. Whether that would be other hunters or predators. I don't know where you were hunting but grizzly's and wolves play a huge role in the rut and whether or not the elk want to talk. I do not believe it was because of the time of year because elk usually, at least in my area, are bugling from the very end of August till early October and I hunt CO. I'm guessing it was too early and hunting or predator pressure was a role in low activity.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back