qwik clot?

wapiti_will

Dec 28, 2012
Anyone ever get a nasty injury and have to use qwik clot?  If so, how did it perform?  I always have some in my first aid kit and have yet to need it.

As a law enforcement officer we keep quik clot around just incase we get shot or stabbed.  I have see it actually used and it works extremely well.  But you cant just rely on quik clot to get the job done. 

They have some crazy videos on youtube but no I haven't used it. I work in fire and ems but we don't use it bc it can cause nerve damage and kills blood flow to distal tissue. In life and death, I would use it in a heart beat. However, I would go down the list before hand. Direct pressure, above heart, arterial pressure, and finally a tourniquet. If you're on anti-clotting agents like aspirin or Coumadin these techniques might not work.

the quik clot gauze works better then the powder because when usung the powder it is difficult to get it to the artery where the blood is coming from. With the gauze you push it in the wound until you hit the point of orgin then keep packing the entire wound chanel. also with you new quik clot you dont have to worry about the burning that was problems with the first generations of it.

Israeli bandage are super slick too. We used them in Iraq and they worked flawlessly.

http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/05130

Glad to hear some of these post. I am on Coumadin after having an unexpected Pulmanary Embolism. Quick clot is what I carry, if it comes down to it I hope it works.

You can use quick clot on any bleeding but it is ment for that arterial hemorrhaging. Just remember when you use it it has to be packed into the wound all the way to the source of the bleed not just set on the surface. Then apply direct pressure for three min ( it will seem like an eternity but it takes time to work) and it will work.

You can also find it at Cabela's, REI, and pet stores. I like super glue and duct tape. It's cheaper and has more uses. It won't work as well on the arterial bleeding like mentioned above but should get the job done. 

Used it on my index finger as I almost took it of while folding a knife single handed.
I couldn't stop the bleeding, even with crazy clue. I poured quik clot on my finger and while it stung pretty good it did stop the bleeding.  After a little while the excess blood soaked powder fell off, leaving my finger covered in the powder and dry blood.

It is now part of my first aid kit I carry in the field.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back