Raghorn Defined

Counselor

Jul 7, 2018
How would you define a ?raghorn? (I have heard they are called ?brush-hats? in some places)?

I have gathered contextually that it is a bull unlikely to score well but was wondering if there is a more nuanced definition out there.

What do you think? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably 2.5yrs - 3.5yrs old.

Or just 'legal' based on the CPW minimum requirements - 4 points on one side/5" brow tines

I've heard it described from some people as basically anything other than a herd bull. That can certainly opens things up for interpretation. In that scenario, a small 6x6 could be referred to as a raghorn. I tend to lean towards cnelk's description, but honestly I don't use the word much because of how vague it can be. It's much easier to talk about a 4x4, a 5x5, a small 6x6, etc.

I have always defined a raghorn as a bull with a small, non trophy frame. It can be a 4x4, 5x5 and even a 6x6. However the frame is small, short and thin. What we refer to them as a "dink". Some people refer to them as young bulls, but sometimes it has as much to do with genetics as it does age. I have seen 5 & 6 year olds with frames that aren't going to get any better. They just don't have the genetics. And, on the other hand, I have seen 3 & 4 year olds with thick large frames that are going to be hogs when they are 6 & 7. That's why I tell my hunters not to get stuck on points. I have seen incredible scoring 5x5's that will blow away a rag horn 6x6.

I thing raghorn is referring to the mass and length of the antlers not the number of points... A 5x5 can be either a raghorn or a good bull, in my opinion, if it has good tine length, a lot of mass and a wide spread... Same goes for a 6x6 and so on..
So I guess my definition of raghorn is not tall, not much mass and not very wide even though I've see tall and wide bull with very little mass but he's the one most all hunters would shoot but if left to age would be more than a skinny rack good elk...
And yep I've seen a tall and wide skinny racked bull I would have shot but only had a cow tag in my pocket....

Here?s my raghorn from this year. It?s mostly just a term for a younger bull or could be a older bull with not much potential.

Attachments

• 8B415AB1-8F8F-4FCE-AB17-72BCD70C99C4.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 9

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back