Rain Gear time

Kdkehoe

Aug 9, 2017
So I?m looking into a rain gear layer.  SO many options. Of course the major brands come to mind in the hunting industry. Kuiu, FL, Sitka, Skre...

Anyways, does anyone have any good recommendations for a solid rain layer that isn?t one of these brands?

My ideal layer is quiet, packable and has put zips. But above all else quiet is preferred.  Open to suggestions.

Up until this year I had always worn military issued gortex rain gear. It keep my dry, but it was loud and didn't breath well....

I was leaning towards the dew point sitka, but I'll be all eyes on this thread! I'm interested in what people say.

If you're looking for something less expensive, Frogg Toggs might do the trick. I've never owned any, but have looked at them and I believe they would be pretty quiet. They also pack down to a very small size. I'm not sure what put zips are, so can't help you with that one.

Anyway, I know lots of hunters use these and recommend them. I've seen them for pretty cheap even in places like WalMart.

Here in NM our storms are usually pretty quick and can can be hard hitting. I have always preferred a Xlarge poncho over anything else. Some of the military grade stuff that is quiet AND waterproof. With a poncho I am on and off fast and it keeps me, hands and gloves, my pack and bow covered. In a downpour I can hunker down and basically I have a tent for me and my equipment (and for emergency shelter). When the storm passes, just shake it out and go.

I usually pack a $2 poncho and normally only see a few light rains. 2017 was the first year that I got dumped on. The poncho kept me fairly dry but didn't last too long before I shredded the whole thing walking through the aspens. The worst thing I experienced was my lower legs getting soaked from all the brush and the water trickling down into my once-waterproof boots. My clothing was all First Lite and dried very quickly! The boots were the hardest to get to dry out again.
This year I have invested in a nice pair of gaitors, which will solve the boot/lower leg problem, and I also bought a more substantial poncho to keep my upper body dry. I feel like this is all I need. Of course, who wouldn't want a brand new set of rain gear from one of the top brands? I just can't afford it right now so I will make due on a budget.

depending on the brand , make sure it is popcan size packable, warrantee and wear it in the shower before you hunt . I will return things if they don't pass the shower test . saves you a soggy ass and a cold walk back to camp

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back