Rain Gear

MTbowhunter1984

Dec 29, 2012
I am looking at purchasing a good set of rain gear, but not sure which route to go.  I am addicted to Sitka Gear, but don't generally run into too much rain.  I am looking for a decent set, but not wanting to spend a ton of money, when I'm not sure how much they will get pulled out and used.  So far my Sitka Gear has kept me dry for the most part, but I also have hunted in a torrential downpour. 

You ought to checkout Russell cyclone rain gear. Similar to Sitka, actually quieter that Sitka's and right now there clearancing out all over the place. $99 most places. I was impressed with the quality, though you might want to order a size smaller pant than you normally wear, they run big even when layering.

I hunted late season archery here in western Washington in a set of Core4Element Torrent Rain gear. I stayed dry and comfortable over two days of constant rain. It is reasonably priced, packs quite small, and has a brushed outer fabric that is very quiet. The down side to the brushed outer fabric is that it will hold water and add some weight to the set while wearing, but it is so much lighter to begin with than other top quality rain gear I could afford, namely Cabelas MTO50. Didn't look at the Russell Cyclone, but probably should have. I am sure they are comparable from a waterproof stand point. Then it came down to weight and packability. I am 6' 4", so opted for XL Talls in the MTO50, and XL in the Torrent, as they do not offer a tall in the rain gear. But C4E adds a bit of length in the arm and leg on this model, so a "Tall" is not needed. The MTO50 has a mesh liner adding a little to the weight. The Torrent does not. The mesh lining seemed unneeded to me, but to each their own. The sets I had, sized as above, weighed in at 3lb 12.9oz for the MTO50, and 2lb 0.1oz for the Torrent. Ended up returning the MTO50 stuff. The photo below has the MTO50 jacket and pant on the left and the Torrent jacket and pant on the right, both packed.

I'm sure Sitka makes great rain gear, but at the time I was looking the options were Stormfront/Stormfront Light and Downpour. They both were built really well, but the fabric seemed loud when worn. Maybe they changed that with the Dewpoint and Cloudburst. The Dewpoint looks similar to the Torrent, and might weight a few oz less and pack tight. But with the MSRP for jacket and pant of the Dewpoint at $768 and the Torrent at $329.99 (I paid $204.98 for jacket and pant) I won't be making a switch.

The Torrent worked great in the field. It was light, quiet, breathable and comfortable. It seems to be durable to. I slipped descending a wet steep slope in a clearcut and slid about 8 feet down on my right side over the usual sticks, branches and debris in a clearcut without any damage to the rain gear. It got muddy and dirty, but no damage. Check out the C4E Torrent.

Love my Sitka gear...the rain coat comes in handy when sitting and glassing on top of a windy mountain peak

I got the Sitka light pants and Top from Camofire, about 1/2 off. Hunted 3 days in the rain, they worked great.

KUIU Chugach works well, the Cabelas Space Rain is a lot cheaper, works well and is really light, but not very durable.

Thanks for all of the info. definitely looking for durability so will most likely fork out the cash as Sitka is my preference.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back