Raingear What is the best?

Rockyhunter

Mar 30, 2018
Looking to spend whatever it takes to buy some good raingear for elk Archery for 3 weeks. My son and I have been in torrential rains while in Colorado where a system came over the state and stalled for a few days. We are looking for a good jacket and pants. Any suggestions or trial by errors out there?  Thanks

For cheaper rain gear that is definitely not quiet or extremely packable try Frogg Toggs. These have kept me dry in everything.

I do have a Patagonia rain shell that I use when I need the most packable jacket, but for staying dry it's hard to beat the Frogg Toggs. The only downside is they do not breathe well, but I haven't found good rain gear that will keep you dry that is also very breathable.

i wear a KUIU jacket.  the Chaguch IIRC.  i have sat in a torrential rainstorm wearing the stuff before.  it is a very very good rain jacket. i do wish it crushed down into a smaller package.

my pants are a prototype patagonia pair.  side snaps, plain gray.  i gave the jacket away since i had the KUIU, but i regret it.  if the jacket is as good as the pant..whoa!!

i love taking them on and off without taking off my boots.

You may want to check out SKRE pack-able rain gear. 

https://www.skregear.com/product-category/rain-gear/

They sometimes run pretty good sales on CAMOFIRE.

I picked up a Sitka Thunderhead jacket last fall. I haven?t hunted in it yet, but just wearing it around, it has kept me dry and I don?t sweat in it. On top of all that it?s soft and quiet.

Rockyhunter said:
My son and I have been in torrential rains while in Colorado where a system came over the state and stalled for a few days.

Did you hunt Colorado in 2013? That was one wet season!

I too use Frogg Toggs. For the terrain and style I hunt, they work just fine

But if I want the 'best', I use my Helly Hansen Impertech

Stoneman said:
You may want to check out SKRE pack-able rain gear. 

https://www.skregear.com/product-category/rain-gear/

They sometimes run pretty good sales on CAMOFIRE.
How does this compare to Cabela's Space rain in your opinion?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Oic....not really the same.  More similar to Sitka or Kuiu rain gear.

How does this compare to Cabela's Space rain in your opinion?

From my experience the Cabela's space rain gear is adequate.  Very light weight and packable, just not durable.  In some conditions (oak brush, thick cover, etc) it will probably not hold up as well as the SKRE.  I am still field testing the SKRE, however I really like the performance so far.  I was able to get a great promotional deal on jacket and pants.  As they have become more established so have their prices.

Cabelas space rain pants are on sale for $35 right now. I picked some up. I used the jacket this fall hunting in CO and it was great. Packs down to the size of a water bottle, if you're looking to save space.

I've had the Cabela's MT050 for years and it did great....but I never liked that when it was really rainy the cuffs would Saturday and the jacket was pretty heavy. Last season I researched for a while and ended up getting the kuiu chugach. It's lightweight, durable and very breathable. Be warned they are sized in an athletic cut.

I am going to preface my answer with some background info. I have only hunted in Northern NM and we can have some real downpours, but rarely does it last for more than 10 to 15 to thirty minutes at a time...if you don't like the weather in NM, just wait 5 minutes! Weather usually moves through fast and hard, and only on the occasional...every other blue moon, do we get hours and hours of rain.
With that said, after 34 years of elk hunting, I had only owned and actually hunted in a rain jacket and rain pants for one season. They were a hassle to get on and off. They were hot. They were noisy and my, gloves, pack and bow would get soaked. Because they were bulky to pack, there were times I got caught in weather simply because I convinced myself that there was no chance of weather because I didn't want to carry the extra bulk.
So I needed something and decided to go with a poncho. The poncho I carry is extra large (I am 6', 225). It is quick to put on and take off. It's easy to pack. It's quiet. It keeps me warm but allows air and it keeps my pack, bow, covered grunt tube and hands/gloves dry. In downpours, I just hunker down, spread the poncho out over my bow and take a short siesta until conditions allow me to move out again. Not much different than what an elk does in that situation.
I can remember one time 3 of us got caught in a downpour and my two buddies with jacket and pant rain gear, got caught trying to get their gear on and then had to wait out the storm while their packs and bows got soaked. When all was said and done, I shook out my poncho, packed and went on my way perfectly dry. They....well... the next year they had ponchos.
Now, gear and materials have definitely come a long way. But, for me it comes down to cost and effectiveness. I still go with my trusty poncho.

Since the title of the tread is 'What is "best" I'll recommend this...

https://www.wildthingsgear.com/collections/mission-msn/products/hard-shell-jacket-so-1-0?variant=1339675331

I've had my set for 6 years, and I have experienced every sort of weather condition imaginable with it. I've abused it, worn it too close to too many fires, and it still looks almost new. It also still keeps me dry in multi-day soaking rains/snow/misery.

That said, I understand a $1200 set of rain gear is pretty ridiculous, but I can honestly say it has been worth it for me.

If budget is an issue, my other go-to non-camo rain gear is a hardshell 3 layer gore-tex like this one, https://www.rei.com/product/125348/rei-co-op-drypoint-gtx-jacket-mens You could spend more money on sitka gear, but its basically the same fabric (much different cut and fit though).

In my experience, if you go with anything other than a hardshell (i.e. cabela's space rain, or silent suede), you'll get wet much faster.

I hope Cabela?s has changed the Space Rain jacket. I bought one when they came out on the way to Colorado. Rolled it out during a squall while sitting on a wallow only to see the inside of the hood was snow white. Not the best color for stealth in September.

I haven't used any other brands of raingear except the old kryptek pattern from the killik brand at sportsmans warehouse the last few years cause I couldn't afford anything else.  So with that said I have been in many rainstorms with the top and bottom on and stayed completely dry.  Before I bought them I looked them over pretty well and they are fully taped and have the brushed outside finish that makes them a lot quieter than the typical noisy shells.  Overall I like them cause they are cheap and affective. Inside color was tan not white

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back