Random pontoon boat/electrical question

atfrith

May 16, 2014
Happened upon a new toy for the summer, a gigantic 2 person inflatable pontoon boat. It\'s not your standard little belly boat though, this things HUGE. Getting those things inflated would have taken my little cigarette lighter pumps FOREVER, a foot pump maybe slightly less. But took my shop vac a matter of seconds....

So i\'m trying to figure out a way to be able to just bring my shop vac with to the lake/stream to be able to inflate it quickly. Multiple people have told me to just buy one of those inverters from walmart that turns your car\'s DC to AC, but that doesn\'t seem like a good idea to me :shifty: A little bit of internet research is showing me I might be right and that it would just destroy my trucks electrical system. :shock:

Some of you guys seem to be pretty crafty with these types of things. Are there any simple ideas im missing? Or am I going to just have to suck it up and pump until I pass out whenever I want to go out for some bowfishing/flyfishing.

Oh, and they are way to big once they are inflated to be able to feasibly strap them down to my truck along with the frame, so that idea is out.

Anthony,

Do you have a portable generator that maybe you can use?
How about a solar power kit that can be plugged into?

Something like this would be cool!

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.goalzero.com/p/165/goal-zero-yeti-400-solar-generator\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.goalzero.com/p/165/goal-zero ... -generator</a><!-- m -->

This may work for that:
Its an air pump for truck air lift systems.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.truckspring.com/products/Air-Lift-12-Volt-Electric-Air-Compressor__16060.aspx?keyword_session_id=vt~adwords|kt~|mt~|ta~105670995738&_vsrefdom=wordstream&gclid=CIHU_NDTxswCFQ2QaQodG88DhQ\" onclick=\"window.open(this.href);return false;\">http://www.truckspring.com/products/Air ... aQodG88DhQ</a><!-- m -->

Youll need to get some air lines, and \'Y\' so when it pumps it combines the air

I have had and use a inverter for many years and never had a problem with any of my vehicles. Your cigarette lighter can only put out so much power to the unit so you wont be running anything huge from it though.

No portable generator unfortunately, I wish.

Brad that might be a viable option to look into. I may just try and find a used trailer of sorts on craigslist honestly.

As far as the inverter goes, from what I\'ve read they are perfectly fine for things like laptops, cell phones, etc. But that something that draws as much power as a shop vac would be a bad idea...I wasn\'t sure so I came here, haha.

I have two inverters. 400W and 1000W. I hook them directly to my battery post with alligator clamps. Never a problem! And they work great for when I need power tools in the back forty or up on the mountain. I used mine for three solid days driving 3\" leg bolts through treated 2\"x6\' lumber, building corrals where there was no power source. I see Camofire has been selling them lately.

I saw that the other day on camofire actually! When I went back to take a second look at the specs they were gone.
Definitely seemed a little more \"beefy\" than your standard Walmart inverter, I may check them out, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I\'m sure it would. Just trying to find the most cost effective option. Seeing as how I\'ll only realistically be taking the boat out a handful of times this summer as time allows.

I have been wanting an air compressor though...[emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could outfit your truck with one of those warn winches with an air compressor built in!
Win win!

I have a separate deep cycle battery I use with my inverter so no concerns of hurting the truck electrical. Since you\'re just filling it once or maybe twice, I bet a separate battery would do it. Biggest issue/concern with a power inverte is the amount of amps the appliance/tool you need to run. Check amp draw of the shop vac. Might want to find a smaller air source - I have a 110 pump for an air mattress that would work but not as quick as the shop vac.

Well one of those 1000 watt inverters just made its way to camofire and I pulled the trigger on one. The shop vac I have is relatively small so I think this should work out. I\'ll let ya know when it arrives! Thanks for the help folks

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back