Range finder- Friend or Foe?

Primitive

Jan 2, 2013
After I bought my first range finder I thought I would never leave home without it.  I have rarely ever used it other than playing with it at camp or messing a round.  It seems I am never in a situation that allows for much time or extra movement.  So the question is how many of you use it always or almost never?

I Bowhunted for over 20 years without a rangefinder, I bought one just over a year ago, and find it a very useful tool. I am not fanatical about use, But, if I am at stand or in a setup, I will range objects before any game shows up for some references. I rarely range an animal, I want to be following the animal with my bow, not a rangefinder.

I agree ai always range the surrounding area and make mental notes on thier range then save the rangefindeer and wait for the action.

I use mine a lot, mainly as I am hunting I quess at distances and the use the range finder to verify. I was really shocked at quessing across a draw, was a lot closer than it looks.

I range the surrounding area and then put it away. Never have had time to range the animal when a shot is presented.

moonie said:
I agree ai always range the surrounding area and make mental notes on thier range then save the rangefindeer and wait for the action.

This is how I use it as well, though I think i should have used it on at least one animal that I was in too big a hurry to draw (and miss) one at 50 yards.  Hindsight tells me I should have ranged him.....

We do a lot of setups so they come in very handy in ranging the area we are setup in. You can also use it for a monocular in close quarters. The new ones that figure the angle and aiming distance are nice also.

I love my rangefinder and don't leave without it. I use it when I'm stalking animals and when we set up and start calling. I haven't used it yet in the last 2 min before a shot cause I already know my distances because I was rangefinding before the animal got there. Also when I'm spotting in the morning or during lunch or water breaks I like to guess ranges and see how close I can get.

I use mine all the time.  It is good to get into the habit of ranging 3-4 things once you get to a set-up point just so you have an idea of distances.  Be sure to range in a whole 120*-140* ...you never know which angle your target will come in from.

Friend for sure.  Comes in handy especially when you get in somesteep country.  Also helps to pre range distances while the elk is on his way in.

Never leave home with out it. I got a range on my bull this year just before he crossed my shooting lane. One of the most useful totals you can have.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back