Rangefinder features

Tenderfoot

May 8, 2014
I put up a wanted ad in the classifieds for a used rangefinder and someone mentioned features. This made me realize that I don\'t know squat about rangefinders. There is so much junk on the web about whats useful and what is pure gimmick. I figured I\'d toss it up to you guys.

What are some must have features for a quality rangefinder in your experience???

I only archery hunt so I don\'t need a 1000 yds. But I like the Angle Correction for steep shots and a scan mode. Large numbers and easy to operate a plus.

I should have specified that I will be using this rangefinder for mostly archery hunts as well. Thanks for the input, timberland! you got me thinking about this.

tenderfoot.

great question!

i pretty much only bowhunt as well. what is your budget? i think as a western hunter (bow) you would want angle compensation. every manufacturer had to get all cute with it and call it something special. my nikon..they call it \"ARC\"..for angle range compensation..my Vortex..\"HRD\" for horizontal range distance.

glass. you would think it doesnt matter, but believe me. peeking thru my vortex is so much more enjoyable that peeking thru my fuzzy nikons.

my nikons max out at 100 yards and aquire info pretty damn fast. my vortex..i find i have to click three times. (one to turn it on, one to get the crosshairs lit up..once more to fire the lazer and take a reading)..kinda frustrating. but awesome warranty. if you buy used vortex..they are covered. you could techically buy broken used vortex. haha.

just last week Vortex sent me a brand new set, cus mine were not that accurate. about 2 yards short at 40 yard readings. no debate.

Was going to reply but found this article I had bookmarked. Should answer most basic questions.

<!-- m --><a class=\"postlink\" href=\"http://www.basspro1source.com/index.php/component/k2/240-hunting-gear/1578-rangefinder-buyers-guide/1578-rangefinder-buyers-guide\">http://www.basspro1source.com/index.php ... yers-guide</a><!-- m -->

Thanks for the input, Elky. I was looking to spend 150-200 on a used unit. I may have to figure out a bigger budget after looking at all of the models with Angle Correction. I would have never thought that glass in those things would make a difference but now that you mention it, makes perfect sense. I really like Vortex I am getting a pair of Diamondback binos in June. Thanks for your info!

Russ, that is very informative and really helps clear up what is \"gimmicky\" and what is actually useful. Thank you. Do you fellas think I will be able to get my money\'s worth buying a used set for $150-200? Should I start rationing my girlfriend\'s food so I can save up more?

Dont ration her food.
You will her healthy to carry your gear and hopefully your elk

\"cnelk\" said:
Dont ration her food.
You will her healthy to carry your gear and hopefully your elk

Hahahaha. That may be the joke of the summer. I can\'t even get her to carry the receipt out of the store!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back