Rangefinder

Sickforit23

Jul 25, 2016
I'm looking to purchase a rangefinder. Wondering what everyone else uses and has had luck with? I strictly bow hunt so i don't need anything great just something thats durable and easy to use.

I bought a cabelas brand range finder a few years ago and have been disappointed in the field.  It doesn't pick up animals well and doesn't pick up light well.  Bowhunting antelope last year I hit the button a dozen times before I got a solid reading.  I've messed with the Vortex models some and that's what I'm going for.  I like the scan mode and the light the vortex collects.  Hopefully that will be the last one I buy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I had a Bushnell scout 1000 that worked great except it didn't have angle compensation. I got a Leupold 1000 TBR DNA that has the angle comp and also works great. The Bushnell did everything I wanted and they can be found cheap on eBay. You can probably only range a deer to around 350 yards though. If you want the angle comp the Leupold is great. I have ranged trees and rocks at close to 1000 yards. I haven't tried it on an animal from that distance. It also has a bright red readout so its easy to see what it's saying. I got mine on eBay for around $350 if I remember right.

Whatever you get I would recommend something that compensates the angle. I have missed two bulls in two years that I ranged with my old rangefinder and then shot for that distance instead of compensating for the steep incline. I know better but apparently I suffer from bull fever and my new rangefinder takes one more variable out of the equation.

Wife got me a Bushnell Chuck Adams range finder. Have no real complaints about it. Works as well as my  buddy's $1100 one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back