Re: Colorado Elk Bugle/Rut Report

eat.sleep.hunt

Sep 16, 2019
Hello everyone,
[/size]
[/size]I went out for elk this past Saturday(9/14) and Sunday(9/15) and heard bugles both days.
[/size]My buddy couldn't join me Saturday morning so I went in solo.
[/size]
[/size]As I approached one of several spots we have marked to hunt, about 250 yards from the truck, I heard a bugle.
[/size]Me: "Yea, there must be another hunter bugling. It's not this easy."
[/size]
[/size]I started walking in another direction and the bugled continued. As I reached my second spot,
[/size]The bugle sounded closer and I still assumed it was another hunter.
[/size]As sat down and got my range finder out, there he was, a satellite bull, swinging his antlers around in a mud pit and flinging mud every where around him.
[/size]I ranged him at about 108 yards then bugled. He responded. He'd chuckle then I'd chuckle but he never came towards me. He kept on moving down the marshy terrain.
[/size]I disappeared in the tree line, moving as fast as I can quietly, trying to intercept him.
[/size]At one point, I was able to close the gap as his bugles sounded much closer but I couldn't see him among the aspen trees.
[/size]Then he eventually went silent. I heard a bugle in the distance about 10 mins later.
[/size]That whole ordeal lasted about 30 to 45 mins.
[/size]It was a super exciting encounter but in the end I was so disappointed in myself that I didn't close the deal.
[/size]
[/size]My gut tells me that If I knew how to better communicate with him, and had given the right response to this lone bull, I could have brought him in and filled my tag.
[/size]
[/size]Now on Sunday, it was almost the same situation.
[/size]On our way to the tree stand, we heard a grunt. We froze and waited.
[/size]what seemed about two minutes later, he bugles. My buddy bugles back, pause, then cow calls.
[/size]This goes on for about for 30 minutes and we have no eyes on him. We tried to close the gap and we went silent on us.
[/size]
[/size]I am heading back this weekend for a five day hunt and I will definitely be working on and studying what calls to use and when.
[/size]Punched my mule deer tag on opening weekend at this same location. Forty three yard shot right in the boiler room on a doe. That was my first harvest ever.
[/size]Now, I just need to fill my either sex archery elk tag and I might consider myself worthy to be called a hunter.
[/size]I also have a 2nd rifle season tag for either sex elk in 214.
[/size]
[/size]What are your thoughts? What would you have done in a similar situation?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back