Re: Wolves

rfra

Aug 10, 2018
The wolf population in north Idaho continues to grow and its definitely affecting elk behavior and populations.  They recently shutdown moose tags by almost 50% in large part due to wolf predation (those are IDFG's own words not just some doom-gloom hunter perspective).  For elk hunting you need to get travel more to find a vocal elk and get closer.  I am hearing more and more about locals not even hunting the panhandle anymore and traveling to other areas and other states because its becoming too big of a pain to deal with the wolves.  We need to take a much more proactive role in managing wolves.  Listen to the ElkShape podcast from this spring where Dan and his father talk about their changing approach to elk hunting the panhandle.  They will no longer leave a basin because they hear wolves but will stop elk hunting, break out the rifle, and turn that hunt into a wolf hunt.  IDFG cannot do much unless we start exercising our tags and killing wolves.  I for one will be spending a lot of money and time to start wolf trapping this year.  If we do not fight to protect our ungulates, elk hunting is going to go the way of moose hunting with fewer and fewer opportunities... which I suspect was a huge driver from the animal rights groups to re-introduce wolves in the first place.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back