Recommended Rocky Mt Hunting Call for Cows

maverick9465

Mar 29, 2019
Going out for my first elk hunt this year. My buddy from Louisiana and I are giving cow elk hunting a try here in Utah. Tips for which Rocky Mountain Hunting Call to use for cows? I can use diaphragm calls because I turkey hunt. Open to options!

All three of the Elk101 diaphragm calls are great. You could also try the Temptress if you wanted an open reed call.

Since you already know how to use a turkey call, you probably know that you need one that fits you well and works well for you. I'll bet you have a favorite and pretty much stick with it for the bulk of your calling.

For me, my go to call is the Raging Bull from Rocky Mt. I find I can make just about any sound a bull, cow, or calf can make with it. And it has probably won more world elk calling championships than any other call out there.

For a bite and blow open reed type call, the Temptress and the Fight'n Cow Call are my favorites. Although I very seldom use either one. And I'll give the Fight'n Cow Call the advantage for several reasons.

1) It is small and more compact.

2) It doesn't spit up like a lot of the others.

3) It has an effortless learning curve.

4) To me it just seems louder and more realistic.

But this is all just what I prefer. I always tell others, " The best call is the one that works best for you"!

WW said:
And I'll give the Fight'n Cow Call the advantage for several reasons.

1) It is small and more compact.

2) It doesn't spit up like a lot of the others.

3) It has an effortless learning curve.

4) To me it just seems louder and more realistic.

But this is all just what I prefer. I always tell others, " The best call is the one that works best for you"!

Ive lost track how many elk have succumbed to this exact call

I started out with the Mellow Momma (which makes great soft cow and calf calls for me) then progressed to the Estrus Excited (all range of cow sounds) for diaphragm calls.  For open reed, I love the Matriarch for it sounds and tone...the wooden barrel seems to produce great volume and is easy to control emotion with it as well...at least for me.

Believe Corey put up a video recently regarding the different types of diaphragm calls (use/latex type/size etc).  Give that a look.  Agree with everyone above, think I've called in elk with all of them (Temptress/Fightn' Cow/Matriarch).  The only issue I have is with the Matriarch.  Seems to take a bit more pressure to use and it seems to freeze up a bit. 

I think I'd change WW's statement just a bit, the best call is the one the elk are responding to! LOL

I've been putting a light coat of vegetable oil on my open reed calls to prevent sicking/freezing.  Haven't had an issue with them in the field so far.

Reading these posts can be dangerous...just ordered the fight'n cow call and the new fight'n cow long ranger. Good deal on amazon for both..$11.99

It's a sickness but a good sickness...:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back