Recording the hunt

Elkoholic

Jan 8, 2013
Looking at possibly making some hunting video's in the next few yrs. Does anyone know any quality cameras for a decent price? Have a sony handicam now and it's does alright but guessing we'll have to step up to the next level to get the quality we need.

The camera really depends on your style of hunting. Solo hunters or backcountry hunting guys like smaller, lightweight, packable cameras. Guys hunting from a camp with buddies can afford to carry bigger & heavier cameras.

Typically the smaller the camera the lower the quality & options, but with advancements in technology some of the smaller cameras can produce tv quality picture. Also note that smaller cameras usually lack XLR (pro audio) ports, which may or may not matter to you.

A couple cameras to look at:

Mid Size: Canon XA10 $1800  Panasonic AG-AC90 AVCCAM $2000
Small Size: Canon Vixia HF G20, Panasonic HC-X900K $700
Ultralight Compact or POV Cameras: Sony HX20v $330, GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition $400, Sony HDR-AS10 $200

Other expenses to remember: SD cards $25, Batteries $15-$30, Tripod $65-$300, shotgun mic $250-$600, wireless mic $600, etc

Hope this helps give you a starting point. There are lots of good cameras out there, some guys are particular to a brand, but just make sure to check the specs on the camera and make sure it has the features you want, XLR audio, SD card recording, 10x + zoom, 1080p (24,30,60p), and some form of Image Stabilization. Also if you are concerned with weight and packability, you might want to pay attention to camera size and weight as wel.

It really depends on how far you want to go with it.  and budget. I think you would almost need a 3-camera setup.

I the  canon vixia 1080p produces awesome Video in good light, it is small and can be carried all the time.

The DSLR is producing some incredible video today. Look at the Canon 5dmkII or the Nikon d7000

A point of veiw camera like a Gopro really takes the viewer into the scene.

Dont forget about stabilization, tripods, monopods. and sliders.

Oh yeah and audio.

Then software..... I just carry a Canon Vixia camcorder

Yeah I forgot to mention DSLRs, which is funny because their pretty much all I use. DSLR is a great tool for taking your video to the next level. A great starter is the canon t3i. Flip out LCD screen, lightweight/compact. You can find them used for $400-$500 on CL sometimes.

I went with the jvc everio.  It's HD and usually under $200 (I got it for $120 on black friday in 2010) with a 40x optical zoom and only weighs like 8 oz and fits in a shirt pocket.  I did all of the clips on the idaho otc clips thread with it.  To give you an idea the one six point that is the shakiest at about 2:15, we think was 600-700 yards away.  If I would have had a tripod it would've been decent footage,but you get the idea of how far this little camera reaches.  The gopro and similar cameras are awesome once the animal is under 20 yards, beyond that you'll be lucky to be able to tell if it has antlers.  I need zoom.  Only thing I would like is better in low light, but you'd have to go bigger to get it, and I don't think it'd be worth the weight and size increase to get a tiny bit of increase.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back