regrets on passing on a shot

turbo1967

Jan 4, 2013
have you ever passed an animal and regretted it latter? Maybe took a pic and then decided it was bigger than you though?happend to me a few times but I would rather miss out than shot something I dident want.here is one of a mule deer  but it did workout in the end i did get a better one.

Attachments

• dads camera 2000.jpg
    dads camera 2000.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 1
I've learned over the years that I don't pass on much, I do have standards ie minimum size, but if I see a shooter I won't be picky waiting for the next bigger one, gotta take what your offered.

As crazy as it sounds, the stories I tell most often are of the one that got away.  Maybe that is why we keep going back.  Rule of thumb is that if you shoot all the little ones, you will never shoot the "big" one.  You have to pass a lot of animals to find the monster. 

For me when it comes to elk I don't pass up anything. I hunt for meat when it comes to elk. When I hunt mule deer it has to be a dandy or I will pass it up.

We had one last year, at least my boy did. 45 yards on a 320 bull in an open unit in utah.  Not the best shot opertunity to take, expecially for a 14 year old so he elected to pass on it. Bull and cows blew out with no shot. I was proud of him for the ethical choice but man I almost regret it when I think of it.

Jeff

I will stick with my first instinct. The one that told me not to shot. There was a reason I didn't take the shot. Maybe the angle, or a long shot and not knowing the distance. I will rather think of the once that I ALMOST had. Than think of the once I never recover for one reason or another.

like the pict. nice. I don't regret passing because well - if it isn't the animal or situation I want, then why am I killing it. 

this deer (pic above )I passed three time that year he was almost a perfect typical about a 165 to 170,passed at 15 yards 10 yard and 60 yards,but the one I took was a 178 and is hanging on the wall now.and so is the pic above I had it enlarged and framed got them both on the wall  ;D . always have the camera with have taken 100s of pics of elk also.the pics make it easier to pass on them.Cant take the big one if you dont pass the smaller ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back