Retiring

razorback

Mar 11, 2014
I haven\'t been on here a lot in awhile. I started back to college and that\'s taking up some time. I\'m in the process of retiring from active duty and that was somewhat unexpected. I am having to jump through quite a few hoops to make it happen. I accepted a job with the U.S. Forest Service working in a wildlife refuge about 30 miles from my house. This is a unique job, it\'s a job I actually considered several years ago. It\'s actually working in a Job Corps with challenged youth but falls under the U.S. Forest Service. I think it something I will do well at but will be challenging. I\'m not sure how it will affect this fall\'s elk hunt and that does concern me a lot. I do know it will allow me to accrue leave a lot like I am used to now and will allow for plenty of elk hunts in the future. I had to retire from active duty in September 2016 so this seemed like a good jumping off point with a great career opportunity. I had been testing the waters and looking something I wanted to do rather than waiting and taking a job I had to do. I feel blessed to have been selected for the position but I was quite surprised. I had actually applied for this position back in the fall and heard nothing. I received a call from the Forest Service out of Idaho, I thought it had to do with an affidavit for archery hunting and was completely surpised when it was a job offer. This is a big change for me, for most of my adult life (22 years) all I\'ve known is active duty so I\'ve got some adjusting to do. I\'m looking forward to it and I should mention that my new place of employment is known for monster whitetails. While I\'ve lost my interest in whitetail hunting since getting hooked on elk, I may find a renewed interest in it as some bowhunting is allowed on the refuge. Hopefully I\'ll be able to post up some pics sometime this fall.

Good deal sounds like the new job will be a interesting change for you. Hope like you said it does not mess with your elk hunt this year. Sometimes we have to do what\'s best for the family.

Congrats on the retirement. Thanks for your service.

steve i did not know you were military. not sure why, just didnt put two and two together i guess. anyway, like francis said, THANK YOU for your service. it is greatly appreciated. and good luck on your new life.

Steven,

First of all thank you so much for everything that you have done. It\'s because of people like you the military is the way it is today.
I cant even begin to imagine how many peoples lives you have made better with things you\'ve done in the military.
Whether it was mentoring troops, doing community involvement, helping people in need and so much more.

I can also related with you on all the missed birthdays, holidays, families sporting events, etc. It isn\'t tough and certainly isn\'t for everyone, but you put in an impressive 22 years. So thank you again for all of your sacrifices.

Also, congrats on your new job. I think it sounds like a great job and you get paid to play in the woods and mentor youth. You cannot beat that :upthumb:

Wow Steve, can\'t thank you enough for your Service!

Your new job sounds like an amazing and rewarding opportunity. I\'m sure you will continue to make the world a better place. :upthumb:

Congratulations on your new job assignment. Will you be a part of the Boise N.F.? I hope it all works out well for you.

steve, i have noticed that you have been a little quiet recently. now, i know why...... good for you. that sounds like a fun job!

Thanks guys. I meet my new boss on Saturday. I start my new job on 1 June. Hopefully I can find out about my leave for this fall then. Do you think that\'s a bad first impression if the first thing I ask is can I have off for elk season? :lol: I\'ve been incredibly busy and hopefully in a few months I\'ll be somewhat caught up and in a new routine. On a side note all of my stuff came in for my bow. She will be all tuned up shortly. Take care.

\"razorback\" said:
Oh yeah I forgot...I haven\'t had haircut in 3 weeks and in two more... no more shaving :clap:

Steve, I cut my hair short and now if it gets much over 1/2 inch long it drives me crazy. I have kept it this way for the last dozen years. I use the clippers with no comb and trim every month. You might find you don\'t like longer hair especially come summer. I hope your vacation works out for you. Good luck in the new job.

I have a set of clippers, I used to cut my hair myself. I just got tired of making a mess. I may end up looking like the pony tail guy back up on that water hole before I decide to cut my hair.

hmmmm. no elk hunting this fall. such a tease..... I was looking forward to actually meeting you in September :lolno:

\"razorback\" said:
I may end up looking like the pony tail guy back up on that water hole before I decide to cut my hair.

:haha: :haha: That would be a big change. I probably wouldn\'t recognize you.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back