Right now in Montana...

montanaelk31

Mar 18, 2014
Cows, calves, and spikes are bunched up.  Raghorns are in with them, checking them every few minutes.  No talking.  One of the raggys had velvet.  Most freshly rubbed.  No big bulls yet.  10 days and counting...

Anybody else have any news? I talked to a fellow a few weeks ago and he said the elk are starting to move a little bit here in  Idaho. And I talked to a buddy in Montana this weekend and he said he has elk starting to come down onto his ranch. So they are getting a little more active I suppose now that the weather is starting to drop off. I will be in the hills next Monday for 2 weeks chasing critters. Hopefully it only takes 2 days haha.

My buddy is a guide in SW MT, he said he heard three bugles last Thursday. This 91 degree weather surely wont help vocalize things. Two weeks will be here before we know it, then they will be going crazy.  ;D

I was out all last weekend in SW Montana. Didn't hear anything, only saw a few cows/calves scattered way up above tree line. Seems like it's quite a bit behind where it was last year at this time. Gonna cool off coming up so that should help. Best of luck to everyone.

I pulled my game camera today. Not much on it but I heard 4 bugles above me while I was getting it. Sounded like a bull trying to round up cows. That's my guess anyway.

Update.  Incredibly silent in my hunting area in Montana opening weekend.  Was able to locate a bugler on Monday who wanted to play. Unfortunately he was on the wrong side of the private property line.  Called in a couple of young cows and calfs throughout the weekend so that was fun and encouraging.  Saw over 50 elk and no branch antlers bulls amoungst them, lol.  Still great to get out.  I live for this!

I was out the first 2 days of the season here in Idaho and it was hot as hell and no vocalizing at all. Dead silence. Spotted a cow & calf on opening morning across the canyon, and a bear as well, but that was it for the entire day. Following morning I called in a cow & calf to about 10 yards and they bolted (didn't want to shoot a cow with a calf). Moments later I spotted them across the canyon and they'd already linked up with a decent sized bull and pretty quickly fed into a heavily timbered slope. I backed out and left the area. Heading back this weekend hoping things have gotten more active.

I've never seen/heard so many buzzing insects in my hunting area before! From the moment the sun came up, until well beyond sunset, the bugs were out like crazy. Guessing that + the heat kept everything pretty quiet. Anyone else experience this?

Heard half a dozen Saturday morning, guessed wrong and got busted by a bull. Nothing but snow on Monday... Hopeful for this weekend, head out for a week and half the following. Fun times ahead!

Also an Idaho hunter, Labor day weekend was fairly quiet for elk, noisy for hunters in the area I was at.  Little more crowded than usual.  Temp dipped pretty good so not many bugs.  Saw a few bulls but always on the other ridge, only thing on my side was cows and calves.  Woke up Monday morning to 3" of snow.  Headed back up on Monday.

Got onto a real vocal bull Friday. He probably bugled well over a hundred times over the four hours I was on him. Responded vocally to every noise I made. I followed him till he bedded but they were in an area I couldn't get to without spooking them so I waited. The wind got squirrely so I left. That area gets a lot of pressure on the weekends so went somewhere else that had little elk sign. Into a different area Sunday that had good amounts of sign. Got one bull talking that pushed his cows away and called in a satellite that was probably 15 yards from me but I never saw it. Stupid brush. Went back to the area I was in Friday and the only new sign is 4 wheeler tracks that apparently belong to people that the rules don't apply to. Tried calling and got a reply immediately but instead of bugles it was howls. Tried to go to a few different areas and there was a truck at every gate. Going to an entirely different area tomorrow.   

Spent opening week (3rd-11th) in Central Montana (Lewis & Clark National Forest). Didnt hear a single bugle the whole week. Spent the week stalking through the woods, ocassionally calling with no responses. Saw 8 elk total for the whole week, saw a nice 6x6 feedinga bout 1000 yards up away in a meadow. Happened to stumble across a bull chasing a cow but they busted me before i could get a shot.

Was able to take a mule deer but not much luck on the elk front. Was a couple weeks too early.

I hunted SW Montana opening day through the 12th. It was incredibly quiet everywhere I hunted. I was seeing some elk, but they were not vocal at all. This was completely different from last year during this time. I still had some chances and managed to punch the tag. Best of luck to everyone.

Attachments

• Elk2 2016.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 6
Congrats MT E H. I've hunted for 7 days (long weekends) and it is incredible how quiet the elk woods have been. I hunt SW MT too.  So far I've passed on a 3x3 and a bunch of cows. I literally haven't herd a bugle and seen bunches of elk. Still, almost got it done yesterday spot and stalk style but errant winds got me at the wrong time. Haven't seen any real mature bulls but some nice 5s.  Glad I take my Vaca every year AFTER the 20th!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back