Salmon area unit 36b

brett8133

Aug 23, 2016
Tags bought and headed out to Idaho unit 36b for archery elk sept 9-18 . Never hunted Idaho before been hunting Colorado the last 5 yrs and have harvested 1 cow and 1 bull . Planning on staying just west of challis in the challis forest . Renting a cabin since it?s a 25 hr drive and we are hauling 4 wheelers to try and save where and tear on our truck
In the mountains . I?ve been studying maps and talked to the biologist in the area . In any one is willing to give advice on this area it would be much appreciated . I did buy a wolf tag also .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great trip Brett. Pretty cool that you already have everything planned this early in the season! Unfortunately I've never hunted Idaho, but hopefully someone who has will be able to give you some advice.

Nice work! It's going to be a great adventure. My only advice is train in a way that replicates what you plan on doing during the hunt. Like most elk country out west, the mountains are no joke. I see far to often hunters staying at camp or only hunting around camp after the first 4 days because their body's needed rest. When you invest in such a trip of this magnitude its best to utilize all the days you have to hunt in the the best condition possible to make the most of your efforts. - Good Luck out there! PS. good call on the wolf tag. 

Thank you I train 5 days a week in the gym with weights and 30 mins of cardio .

I?ve been elk hunting the last 5 yrs and usually hunt 10-14 days . I know what you mean about guys getting sore and tired I stay driven I might sleep in one morning if we get rain or something but a 1 hour power nap on the side of the mountain in the middle of the day does a man wonders .

Still hoping to talk to some of you guys about hunting the salmon area if any one is up for a chat not looking for honey homes I?ve picked out about 25 areas to check on onxy maps and google earth . Info on the area is always a plus in my mind

How did the hunt end up going? I think I am going to this zone in the fall. Hopefully you got into some elk.

I passed a small cow and called in a 300 in plus bull to 40 yds with no shot that was the only bull I herd in 9 of hunting and only seen those 2 elk . My buddy killed a calf and my other stuck a big cow and lost her . We only herd 2 bulls between 4 of us in 9 days . Good luck the elk are very scattered out in there . It?s steep and lots of blow down

Hey I?m from Challis. Where are you staying and hoping to hunt? Message me if you want.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back