Salomon Boot/shoe thoughts

RyanG505

Aug 28, 2017
I know there?s a lot of boots out there and everyone has their favorite set up, or still searching for that go to combo. So I thought I?d give my feelings on what I?ve come to enjoy plus a pair I?m trying out Incase it helps someone in their quest for what works for them.

4a16637732303d81db8cf905d3da6c8d.heic

I?ve been elk hunting for along time and the boot I?ve come to love is the Salomon 4D GTX light weight flexible boot. This boot fits me perfectly and is unmatched in comfort with my experience of light boots. They enable you to go very fast and allow for some pretty stealthy stalks. These boots are relatively inexpensive however, I can only seem to get about 6-8 months out of them before they seem to just unravel. I spend a lot of time watching sheep in the desert in some really nasty bluffs so that is what I chalk that up to. I do cover hundreds of miles in those 8 months usually, by the time they fall apart they?ve really covered some ground in nasty stuff so I don?t have a big issue with that. They have been mostly waterproof in very wet conditions for me as long as I?m wearing gaiters. Light moisture they work great without gaiters. The boots fit true to size and feel like I?m wearing a trail shoe with ankle support. However, another complaint is once you break that 100lb threshold in a pack these aren?t stiff enough for me. While wearing these boots I try to stay in that sub 80lb range in my pack. Overall I really love these boots and their comfort brings me back over and over.

07a181469b16306b903d05f9f6e28364.heic

b38f3edf349892056cf27921cde49c98.heic

0da996a2b1a80ce3aad628da6fa39be9.heic

4ab839932ecd3019b68a9104f59b84ce.heic

The next shoe that has become one of my favs on an elk hunt is the Salomon Speedcross. These are what I wear if the terrain is favorable and I just want a very light option. I wear these shoes with gaiters and work wonders in areas with lots of meadows and grassy areas with minimal rocks. I know lots of guys use them in the high country but I just don?t trust my ankles with them. If I?m in mostly flat terrain or rolling hills it?s the speedcross and gaiters. I?ve only packed out one elk while wearing these shoes and stability wasn?t as bad as I thought it would be. However, I would not recommend these while packing lots of weight.

dfcd01d697830b9cf07ecbd40e7ef78c.heic

a3e77406d4b00f2156c23a1c9d70097c.heic

25111bc50da9d2cc819d1d4bc575c78f.heic

Both the GTX 4Ds and Speedcross have been my set up for about 4 years now and I have been a fan of them. I have worn multiple pairs of both and keep buying more due to the fact the just work solidly for me and I have minimal complaints.

However, I?ve really been searching for that stiffer, more durable boot that is comfortable under a 100lb load. I don?t normally go more than that and really try not to break that number if possible. It?s not that I can?t, I just don?t want to. But if I have to I really want a stiffer, stronger boot.

I thought before I went for the Lathrop & Sons route, which I probably still will to give them a fair shake. I wanted to try the Salomon X ALP MTN GTX for the price I get with my military discount.

47d025805f76504cf86795ebd0dd76a1.heic

The Salomon X ALP MTN GTX so far seem to be a very quality built boot. They?re stiff, yet flexible enough to be very comfortable and not feel like you?re walking on wooden blocks.  The have a solid toe cap that seems will hold up to the rough terrain I spend a lot of time in. So far I only have about 10 miles on them and they are performing just as I expected from a Salomon shoe. I have yet to test them out in water or really a long distance hike but will soon. The toe box is rather narrow which I like and the stiffness is comparable to a La Sportiva Trango Cube but with a little more comfort. I will be sure to get more up on them as the hikes continue. So far I?m at 10 miles on only two hikes and I enjoy them.

a8ff2a50209f5634c8813130448c5261.heic

68a6efb78aade186f7f77f7498d931a2.heic

02b284ff12b341ed0fed7c35741a7501.heic

fb685b0fb4bf215ed2181af391a30cde.heic

7bbaf8272e540f1990caec178bc58c6f.heic

Thanks again for letting me put my thoughts out there on these in case anyone has been considering trying any of these Salomon options. I hope this helps someone at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent review! Im sure this will be very helpful for someone looking at new boots.  :upthumb:

Picking boots is no easy task. So many options!

DTP said:
Excellent review! Im sure this will be very helpful for someone looking at new boots.  :upthumb:

Picking boots is no easy task. So many options!

Thank you my friend. It?s always tough to find that right line up for ones self!

Hey Ryan- I'm with you. Really like my salomons.  I have 2 pair of the 4d gtxs. But I do have a recurring issue. The rubber toe keeps pulling away from the leather on the rubber rand. Doesn't affect the waterproof ness but does annoy me as it collects debris.  My 2 hunting partners both experienced this separation on their 4ds too. Doesn't affect the performance. Good lightweight boot for guys like me with narrow feet. I've had success with crispi valdrez as a stiffer option, only about $80 more FYI

montanaelk31 said:
Hey Ryan- I'm with you. Really like my salomons.  I have 2 pair of the 4d gtxs. But I do have a recurring issue. The rubber toe keeps pulling away from the leather on the rubber rand. Doesn't affect the waterproof ness but does annoy me as it collects debris.  My 2 hunting partners both experienced this separation on their 4ds too. Doesn't affect the performance. Good lightweight boot for guys like me with narrow feet. I've had success with crispi valdrez as a stiffer option, only about $80 more FYI

Yeah as hard as I beat them I feel like only getting 6-8 months is fair...I haven?t had the toe cap issue at all yet. Il pass on the crispi, been there done that not impressed.

I have been rockin' the Salomon Speedcross on September archery elk hunts here in Idaho for the past 4 years. I was able to find a pair in camo on Amazon. They are super lightweight, quiet and comfortable. I packed out one elk with these by myself and they worked fine, although I would have liked a bit more ankle support with the heavy loads. Last September was a wet one and unfortunately I melted the hell out of my only pair while trying to dry them next to the fire. I may go back to these, but this year I am going to try a pair of waterproof Keen boots that I've been working on breaking in. Thanks for the review on the other Salomon options. They might be what I try next.

Bull_Fighter said:
I have been rockin' the Salomon Speedcross on September archery elk hunts here in Idaho for the past 4 years. I was able to find a pair in camo on Amazon. They are super lightweight, quiet and comfortable. I packed out one elk with these by myself and they worked fine, although I would have liked a bit more ankle support with the heavy loads. Last September was a wet one and unfortunately I melted the hell out of my only pair while trying to dry them next to the fire. I may go back to these, but this year I am going to try a pair of waterproof Keen boots that I've been working on breaking in. Thanks for the review on the other Salomon options. They might be what I try next.

You bet! I figured I?d toss something up there about my experience with them all and how these new boots seem so far.

I just got a pair of the X ALP MTN GTX about a month ago. I have a pretty narrow foot which makes finding a well fitting boot very difficult. These Salomons feel like they were custom fit to my foot. I tried the 4ds but I wanted the stiffer sole for support while side hilling.

These boots require little, if any break in. I wore these around the house and doing yard work for about 2.5 hours. That?s it, then I was off for my first hike, about 4 miles. No pinching, hot spots, or any other problems.

I?ve got about 50 miles on these boots so far and they keep getting better. I?ve tweeked my lacing so they fit perfect.  Can?t wait for September.  Good luck to everyone this year.

RyanG505 said:
montanaelk31 said:

Yeah as hard as I beat them I feel like only getting 6-8 months is fair...I haven?t had the toe cap issue at all yet. Il pass on the crispi, been there done that not impressed.

Sorry meant to post this earlier but this is what happens to the 4Ds I buy.  Doesn?t affect waterproooor anything.  Just slightly annoying

i am running the same setup.
the speedcross for trail running and the Quest 4D (whatever they call them) as my boot.  nobody ever mentions the laces on the boots.  they are the stiffest lace i've ever had.  they also seem to be coated with something that makes them slippery.  this slip makes it so I have to pay special attention to lacing them up.  i typically throw in an extra knot to keep them from coming loose.

i am going to take these boots up Machu Picchu.  i briefly considered my Speedcross, but i have a lame, weak ankle.  i would be taking a big chance.

i'll probably buy an aftermarket boot lace before i go.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back