Salomon Speedcross - too light for elk?

Jun 9, 2014
I've been looking at getting some Salomon Speedcross shoes for early season hunting. I've used similar running shoes chasing muleys and found them to be very comfortable and quiet going after deer. However, I'm wondering if they would be too light for the cooler temperatures of September and the rugged terrain that elk commonly inhabit? Anyone hunt elk in these already? Thoughts?

I have a couple pairs. Blue ones for working out, all black for work.
I'm a police k9 handler so I put them through their paces pretty good.
They are super grippy, but one withy the extra grip they are a softer rubber. I'm hard on my stuff and the soles wore almost flat in about 6 months on concrete.  I believe they are more of a trail running shoe. 
As for comfort, you absolutely cannot beat it.  They are made of thin material and the ones I work out in have started ripping on the outside of the toe box, probably due to very heavy leg presses and my foot moving in the shoe. They def aren't a cross trainer.
If I was going spot and stalk in warm weather, I would definitely wear them I just wouldn't expect a very long life out them. They are think enough to be very quiet, comfortable enough to walk miles and miles and they are my fav shoe.  The qualities that make them awesome make them a bad choice for people who are hard on their stuff on concrete but in the mountains I can only imagine how great they'd be.

As far as solomons go, I'm getting a pair of gore Tex hikers for first week November elk hunt outside of Durango.  Unless you have another option of durability and comfort

i have them and i use them for scouting. the only thing that would scare me would be packing out heavy loads with no ankle support. i bought a pair of salomon quest 4d gtx this year for elk hunting. love them so far

I absolutely love salomons.  I have 2 pairs of speedcross, 2 pairs of  x ultra 2 gtx, one black and one multicam, and a pair of force 4d for work.  they have great customer service, they are solid supportive shoes, comfortable to boot

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back