Saw a half dozen elk this afternoon

Bullnuts

Mar 6, 2014
If you know where I live and where I work, it\'s kind of odd to see elk on my commute. Today I saw one cow this morning standing in the river and then on the way home there were a half dozen elk, one bull with antlers still, standing next to the road. Very cool to see all those critters in the cottonwoods!

Last week in late afternoon, I saw a small herd just East of I-25 tucked between 2 hillsides. There are not many elk east of I-25 in CO. I am hoping more of them are returning to their traditional plains habitat, although, ranchers and farmers may not like that.

There are actually quite a few elk east of I-25 as you go down the Arkansas River Valley. There is a good size heard over in the Kim, CO area as well. They seem to hang out in the canyon bottoms out that way. The elk numbers are growing pretty quick out that way since there isn\'t much at all in the way of public land for people to hunt. Pretty nice place to own land some hunting ground, unlimited tags for elk!

I believe CPW lists 2 elk herds in SE CO.

My advanced CPW bowhunter instructor said he exclusively hunts plains elk. He prefers them. They can become monsters.

I was wondering how our drought years were effecting the plains elk. Bit rough in SE CO.

Yeah, they are definitely struggling for water down that way, but I think the elk find a way to figure it out. By hanging in the canyon bottoms, I\'m sure they find water. Worst case, there are plenty of watering holes for the cattle around there!

Water isn\'t really the issue out there - it\'s grass. Very little feed for the critters in the drought years but most of the elk I\'ve been seeing have been in the farm lands so as long as there\'s wheat, corn, and alfalfa growing out there the elk will be feeding good.

Good point Bullnuts...I have heard that the lack of food has done a number on the Antelope population in some of those areas. It sounds like a lot of them have moved north. One unit that I have hunted down there cut tags down to around 100 when they used to have over 1,000 before this drought!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back