Scenario: What Do You Do?

cohunter14

Administrator
Jul 10, 2017
You are archery hunting and making your way through the woods, throwing out the occasional call, when you hear what sounds like a bedded bugle 100 yards away. You give it some time, and about a minute later you hear the same call, which sounds like it's coming from a nearby meadow. You ease your way towards the meadow, with the afternoon thermals pushing uphill to your right, when you notice antlers. You quietly pull out your rangefinder and see this guy is 50 yards away from you. What's your next move?

1722621171672.png

The impatient me draws my bow, then barks at him with the anticipation he stands up and turns left. The patient me looks at the shade, clouds in the sky, the slope going away from me and anticipates a changing, possibly swirling thermal busting the bull in the next 30 seconds, draws my bow then barks at him anticipating he stands up turning broadside facing left.

I sit back, watch the wind a wait. Put together a plan to get 10-15 yards closer. A 50 yard shot is doable, but a 35 is better.
I wait.

I assume if I can see his eyes then he can see me so I am staying in that spot until he stands and I am shooting from there. If he looks away and I can move without being seen I will move to get the wind better but I wouldn't try to get closer in the open unless the wind is good and his head is facing away or blocked by something.

I'd remain as still as possible while looking around for any cows that could bust me, and wait for the right moment to get to a better setup for a shot opportunity when he stands up. Follow up question...If you have the opportunity to move to a better position with the above stated wind, how would you move? Uphill, downhill, straight at him?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back