Scouting W/ game cam

Bowtech Guardian

Dec 28, 2012
Im heading up to my hunting area this weekend to put up game cams.  My question is when placing the cam should it be aiming up the trail or straight accrossed it? Im going to find the most used trail and put it there.  Any other tips typical height to hang it from?

I put mine pointing up or down the trail.  Depending on your camera it could have a slow enough trigger speed that if you point it across the trail the animal could walk right passed before it takes the picture.  Another option is to put some salt or something on the trail to try to get them to stop for a picture. (make sure this is legal where you are)

As for height I've had them very low to very high.  Main point here is to make sure it's aimed right.  If there are a lot of options to hang it I like mine to be about level with a mature bulls head.

Good luck!

I typically place mine facing the north and about 45* to the trail.  If you put it at a 90* angle sometimes you will only catch the back end of the animal.  Also, try to remove any bushes or weeds in front, just in case the wind blows you don't get 1000 pictures of just branches and weeds blowing in the wind.  Keep it about 3-4 feet of the ground and you should get some great pictures.

Additionally make sure your camera isn't pointing towards the sun, north facing and take a camera or something that can read an SD card, and setup walk past it a few times to get a reference, alter if need being and your set.

If its legal in your state you should put out some food or minerals to get them to stop in front of your camera.  You will get a lot more pics this way.

Great tips, Thanks guys. Definitely will help me when i purchase my game camera as soon as i get my taxes back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back