Scouting

Chad44

Jan 25, 2013
I'm contemplating on changing to a different hunting area and I have an awesome google earth spot picked out. Ill be putting boots on the ground there this summer. Should I be looking for elk or old rutting elk sign? Wallows rubs ect.... Should I be worried if I'm not seeing actual elk if I'm seeing last years rutting sign???

Last years rubs and older sign for sure.  I have been excited about an area only to find that when I go in to hunt the elk have moved out.  Certainly you may find a few resident animals but I would search out where they will end up for the rut.

Also, make sure you are looking for water, food and where they go between there and their bedding area. Talk to local biologists as well. Pick out more than one area, it's important to have more than one place to hunt!

First of all, good luck in your endeavors.  Exploring new areas is always fun and exciting.

Yes, lookfor elk.
Yes, look for old ruttin sign, wallows, rubs, etc.
No, don't be worried if you're not seeing elk.  I have been scouting and seen zero elk and I've been scouting and seen a couple hundred, you just never know.

I have no doubt you're serious about what you do.  Try to get boots on the ground out there more than once.  Try to find some glassing spots as season nears.  GE is an invaluable tool.  Do you have good .kml or .kmz files outlining nat'l forest/wilderness/gmu boundaries?  I've also found that bing maps often has better resolution when zooming in close.  Also, check this out:

http://www.intelligenthunter.com/home/map

One mistake I see hunters make is scouting the heck out of an area one week before hunting season or even worse the day or two before.

I have found that typically elk will return to same general areas year after.  If you find an area with elk during the hunting season, most likely they will be there next year as well. Even if they leave the area because of hunting pressure, if you give them enough time, they will return. Find a few of these areas and you could be in elk every year.

The holes I hunt have elk in one of the same 4/5 spots within a 10 mile range.  I find they are there consistently.  Looking for previous habitual use is key.  Areas of habitual use will include water feed and cover.  Also be aware that a running stream in june or july may be nothing but a dry drainage in September.  I agree talking with fwp or biologists regarding the area is a bonus.  It took me two years to find my spots on the western side of the state after hunting the central portion of the state the majority of my life.  Have patience and enjoy the search. 

were Im at the elk in june do not hang in the same spots as they do in august or sept. mostly look for rubs or signs of the rut last years late season wallows.however they dont go far so if they are there in june they should be within a couple miles come season time.

Back