Secondary tag?

Big Tex

Jan 8, 2013
I'll be elk hunting in ID this year and I was thinking about also buying a deer tag, which would allow me to shoot a deer, bear, or wolf if the situation presents.  Also, I noticed that the 7 day grouse season will be in while I'm there, so I could throw one of those in as well.  I always seem to stumble upon other game in bow range, but I've never had a tag, so this could either be really fun or a total jinx.  Anyone ever pitch in for a second tag?  Any luck?

well since im an idaho resident i have every tag possible.  It usually never fails when im out elk hunting and i run into a huge buck.  I have been lucky the last couple years and its never been a jinx.. knock on wood but we will see how this year goes.

I am also an Idaho resident and so I always have a tag for every possible animal when I'm out.  Two years ago I killed by biggest buck while elk hunting.  Typically I don't sacrifice elk hunting time to pack out a deer but that one was worth it.

It's also nice to be able to go into the mountains and just go hunting.  Being able to kill any of 4-5 game animals rather than being entirely focused on a particular species makes the day more exciting. 

I say go for it.  I shot one of my bears while I was after elk, the only wolf I have seen was while elk hunting, it was a big black wolf at 40 yards.  Unfortunately the wolves were still on the endangered species list that year.  You never know what you are going to sneak in on when you are out there! 

I would say just make sure whatever you shoot is worth it because you'll be wasting valuable elk hunting time  :)  Don't want to spend a day packing a 2 pt buck out of the back country!

Go for the jinx man, way better to have the tags and not see anything than to see a trophy of a lifetime and not have the tag.  I got a mountain lion while hunting elk and will always be glad I had the tag when a cat showed up twenty yards away and gave me a shot.

I always want to have as many as I can have,kind of sucks to be taged out early in the season.Last year I shot my elk and ran into 2 B&C bucks on the way back to the truck. and if your out and it gets to hot for elk than hunt for birds or deer.I dont mind shooting a big buck on a hot day cause I can take out a deer on my own in one trip so hot weather is not an isue for deer,In montana I always try for elk B tag also.

I don't think of tit as a jinx, I think of it as a donation to help with conservation. If I happen to be blessed with meat because it, then yahoo. I think it also dependent on how long you will be out. If you only had three days it would suck to give up time to take care of some grouse.  But it you plan to be out a while, the go for it.

bought myself five wolf tags this year. I hope i can fill each of them, along with my elk, deer, antelope, bear, mountain lion.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back