Setting up a spike camp near a trail

How far off the main trail do you setup your spike camp?

• Right on the trail

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • A couple hundred yards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Half mile

• More than a half mile

• Total voters

americanbwana

Sep 3, 2017
How far do you setup your spike camp from a main trail?

I want to be close enough where I can find my camp after dark (It\'s an easy trail to cut), but far enough away that it won\'t be stumbled upon.

Dana
Good topic.
I was undecided on what to vote for because sometimes having a spike camp near/on a trail lets anyone else in the area know that someone else is there too.

Then on the other hand, a bit of secrecy/solitude is good too.

I voted for a couple hundred yards as this is what Im doing this year.

i am not sure either. there is a 2 track road going up the mtn, that follows the main creek in this drainage. the gate will be closed several miles back, so no motor traffic. everyone will see my truck parked at the trailhead. we want to be close enough to the creek for water, but far enough away that we can hear the elk at night.... we will find the perfect spot for camp during our scout trip in august.

Something to consider is if you get a critter. In a populated area, as soon as people piece things together, as they often do, you may have plenty of company.

It depends on traffic, of course, but I set up about 150 yards off the trail, but in view. I don\'t like people walking through camp, but I do like the idea of them knowing where I\'m at.

First, it tells them that they might want to hunt somewhere else because I\'m \"already there\".

Secondly, if there is an emergency, or they need help for something, they know where my camp is. I like to keep an idea of where others\' camps are for that reason, so they might want to know where I am.

Thirdly, it\'s easier to find in the dark, or for my wife to come resupply me.

I voted right on the trail. For me it\'s easier to find the camp and to travel up/down the trail to hunt. I have one backpack camp that is no where near a trail. Instead it\'s right on a creek making it fairly easy to find camp in the dark.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back