Setup Question

Janttihunter

Aug 20, 2013
So I set up my treestand on an old homestead with some fruit trees about a month ago, Its very hidden and has no hunting pressure. I knew deer and elk were in there and the prevaling winds were out of the north. I set my stand up on the southwest corner of the clearing. (really the only option because of tree selection) I enter from the south and have to go about 40 yards west along the edge to get to my stand.

I put a trail camera up and have a few nice bulls in there. They come (or atleast pass my camera) at either 4:30 am or noon every couple days. my question is should try to get to my stand way before that at 3am? or should I try to aproach them from the ground? its a small clearing no bigger then 50 yard across. What do you guys think?

I'm pretty sure spot lighting is illegal in most states so I would say spot and stalk first thing in the morning an wait em out till noon on your tree stand.

Jantti... I'd say if you can slip in quietly with a red lens flashlight by 3-3:30am you should do it. 

Thats what I was thinking. If the wind is right that will be my plan. Ive had the elk on my cam from 4:30am-noon but never earlier than that.

If you are talking 4:30 in morning BEFOE LEGAL SHOOTING TIME just go ahead and use a rifle during bow season there is not one difference in either Illegal is illegal no matter where it is. Anyone can be a poacher but a real hunter will wait or find out where they are going and cut them off at the pass take your lunch and stay in there all day!
If you think I am a hard butt yea I am. While deer hunting in Western NC one year I had a nice black bear at 40 yds and let it walk I was holding a Rem 700 in 300win mag it was open on the other side of the road maybe 400 yards away. When I told some who were hunting with me one said you should have shot it no one would know and I told him yes I WOULD KNOW. He didn't say it again. You see I was not raised to be dishonest and have memories of my dad and granddad buying and selling on a HAND SHAKE. It is like this ALL YOU HAVE IS YOUR NAME AND YOUR WORD and my granddad told me this if a man will lie to you HE WILL STEAL FROM YOU TOO!! Hope you get one legally and enjoy it.

Hey folks I just joined and do not want to ruffle any feathers, but I have heard no mention of this fellow wanting to shoot the elk prior to shooting hours.

Janttihunter,

Great question. I personally wouldn't hit the treestand before the 4:30 a.m. showing of the bulls. There are a couple reasons....first, you can't shoot them when they come in at 4:30 (which I know that you know). The main reason though, is that the thermals are going to change between 4:30 a.m. and noon. If you are in the tree, you have effectively spread your scent in two prominent directions. I would wait until the thermals change (9 or 10 a.m.) and then head into the tree, making sure your scent is blowing away from the direction the elk are approaching from. The last reason is thatI have no patience, and sitting in a treestand for 8-10 hours is not an option for me...  8)

Good luck! We'd love to know what you decide to do, and we'd love to see pictures (the bulls now on trail camera AND the pictures of your success)!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back