Shed Hunting

Arrows4Elk

Feb 20, 2014
Anybody found anything great, yet?

Been out a few days and picked up a couple muley sheds but no elk. 

Been reading the forums and all the articles on this site and figured it was time to join. A wealth of info. I am from WI and made my first elk trip to SW MT in 2013, no harvest but was  a GREAT success heard some elk saw some elk was great being in the mountains and am now addicted. Just wanted to give a little info about myself before asking my question as I know a lot of people look badly upon "newbies" coming on just posting questions for info.

Have found a couple whitetail sheds here in WI. I do have a question for you CO locals. My brother and I are coming out May 8-14 to look for some antlers. He has been out 2 of the last 3 years and done pretty well. With the warm spring is May 8-14 going to be to late? We are going to be looking NW of Denver. Thanks in advance I really appreciate any help from locals.

wibiggame Im not from CO, so I cant help you with that but no worries  on being a newbie that is exactly what this site is for , ask all the questions you want.

That's a tough one. Most animals should have shed by then but the real question will be if other people have picked your spot. I'm from Utah and it can get flat ridiculous how quick horns will get scooped up here. I've heard other states aren't as bad as Utah though. At the end of the day no one picks them all up so if you're in the right spot you always have a chance.
This year I went to my favorite spot for picking up mule deer sheds just to be told that it "had been hunted already". The land owner had seen multiple people there. I'd already burned 2 hours driving there so I said what the heck and went anyway. Ended up picking up 6 horns in a couple hours. Long story short don't get discouraged if others have been there! Good luck man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems like shed hunting has really gained in popularity around my area. Parks and Wildlife put new shed hunting rules in place this year in Colorado, so check the big game brochure for the details before you get here and start looking.  There are a few bulls still packin' headgear in my spots, so your May 8th may not be too late if you arent in an area that gets lots of attention.  Good Luck!

turbo1967 said:
wibiggame Im not from CO, so I cant help you with that but no worries  on being a newbie that is exactly what this site is for , ask all the questions you want.

Welcometo the site fellow newbie!

Don't have a game can set up in elk territory, I'm not that lucky! But there is still a buck with one antler on one of my whitetail hunting properties. This picture was taken four days ago!
76CC78D1-C0B4-40A5-8660-895910585642_zpsxtmaichv.jpg

Whre is the best place to search for deer and elk antlers? I was up searching my aunts property and found nothing!

Just need to find where the animals are during the winter. Watch them and see what areas they're frequenting. Then when it comes time to shed (mid jan-feb for deer typically, March for elk) watch even closer to see what areas they're in. Depending on how much snow there is will determine if they stay in the same area they've been all winter or if they've moved somewhere the snow has burned off.
West and south facing slopes are always good places to look. They're usually burned off from the sun and animals will be feeding and bedding there frequently.
If you're talking whitetail in flatter areas then check transition zones on the edges of fields or tree lines. Fence lines can hold some too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYI - we just posted a new article on Elk101 about shed hunting in case you wanted to check it out. Seems appropriate for this thread.

http://www.elk101.com/featured-articles/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back