Shed Hunting

yooper89

Jul 20, 2016
Anybody have any tips on elk sheds? What elevation do you look around? I found a few muley sheds this weekend that were from this year, but no luck on elk. I was at about 7500', so feeling like I was a little low yet.

I seem to have luck on elk sheds right at the snow line when they are shedding. I would try to determine where the snow line was around two weeks ago and then look for good elk habitat around there.

And if you don't find sheds there look everywhere else.

Cover a lot of ground,  usually when I find mule deer sheds I'm too low for elk.  Depends on your area though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm thinking I was a little low. I've got a couple other areas I'm going to check out this weekend. Thanks fellas

How did the shed hunting go?

Shed hunting elevation can be difficult to narrow down depending on which state and what type of winter each region had. Some locations in the spring had warmer temperatures and melting snow gave way to substantial vegetation growth in higher elevation this year. Elk sheds have been found from low to very high elevations already. 

Elk101 Admin said:
How did the shed hunting go?

Shed hunting elevation can be difficult to narrow down depending on which state and what type of winter each region had. Some locations in the spring had warmer temperatures and melting snow gave way to substantial vegetation growth in higher elevation this year. Elk sheds have been found from low to very high elevations already.

Found a few more muley sheds.. one real dark large 3 point, and one elk antler that looked to have been broken off this past fall while sparring.

Shed hunting has been put on hold for the time being. Had my first son last week so Arrow James has taken over my world!

Wow, congratulations! Love the name! Best of wishes to you and your new family! 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back