Shed Hunting

razorback

Mar 11, 2014
Anybody started shed hunting yet (except Dan, he never stops)? I\'ve been a couple of times but I\'m still getting pics of bucks with both sides here in southern Missouri. I did find one Friday.

I saw 3 bucks Sunday evening. Still carrying both side. I have looked some but no luck yet.......

The bucks around here are still sporting their headgear. I like to wait until mid march to look.

\"mainebrdr\" said:
The bucks around here are still sporting their headgear. I like to wait until mid march to look.
I\'ve seen a few bucks this last week still sporting theirs as well.

Saw 1 yesterday with both sides and 2 this morning. One had dropped one side. I will look some tomorrow but I doubt I will have any luck. Oh well good way to exercise :D

I haven\'t seen any deer with antlers in a few days (in western Colorado). I saw a really big bodied deer by itself while driving home yesterday with no headgear, though I suppose it could have been a supremely pregnant doe!

Do you shed hunters usually just spend a lot of time slowly working terrain on foot, or do you set up on a high spot and glass areas really hard? When you know you\'re in an area where they drop, what would you say is the most frequent way you find them?

-E

\"Iron_Will_Eric\" said:
I haven\'t seen any deer with antlers in a few days (in western Colorado). I saw a really big bodied deer by itself while driving home yesterday with no headgear, though I suppose it could have been a supremely pregnant doe!

Do you shed hunters usually just spend a lot of time slowly working terrain on foot, or do you set up on a high spot and glass areas really hard? When you know you\'re in an area where they drop, what would you say is the most frequent way you find them?

-E

I prefer the \"miles for piles approach.\"
I can\'t sit too long while glassing unless I am hunting an animal.

Plus, shed hunting for me pays off two fold. I find sheds and I explore new areas/scout.
It just increases my hunting location piggy bank!

My 5 year old has found 3 so far this year we went for a short hike near the house last sat - nothing big I will get a pic.

Half and half have dropped where I live. The biggest bucks I see are still packing but I would say with in the next week all but 10% will have dropped.

\"Coloradov\" said:
My 5 year old has found 3 so far this year we went for a short hike near the house last sat - nothing big I will get a pic.

That is great for him :upthumb: :upthumb:

[attachment=0]<!-- ia0 -->2 pt shed.JPG<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment]

[attachment=1]<!-- ia1 -->j 4 pt shed.JPG<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment]

Haha I have my girls out looking :D . They love it and have found a few I am sure we will give it a short go again sometime this weekend

I\'ve had no time to get out and search yet. Can\'t wait to shed hunt the TX ranch or some public land in NM!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back