Shed hunting

Chad44

Jan 25, 2013
Since I hunt archery elk I'm thinking shed hunting up that high is pointless. But I'm not sure. I'm wondering if you guys do it where you hunt or do you have special areas?

Elk are migratory.  You'll have to find good wintering grounds.  You're not likely to find sheds near or above tree line.  If the winter has been mild, you're more likely to find the sheds a little higher than normal.  Don't discount glassing for sheds, either.  Yes, you have to cover ground, but you can cover it smartly.

Excellent topic, I've found several shreds throughout the years but a majority are mule deer bucks, I need to find a good pair of sheds.

It all depends on your area. Where I shed hunt is exactly where I hunt, but the elk do not migrate in this neck of the woods. In most areas, yes they will migrate and come out of the high country. This will vary year to year depending on snow depth. If you can get out and scout starting in late February, looking for batchelor groups of bulls and southern exposure. If you find them in late Feb early March and the are not pushed they should stay in the general vicinity for when they start dropping mid March and on. Good luck as it is contagious and a great time of year to be out and see what made it through the winter! As noted bring your glass and be ready to lay many miles of boot trax. 

"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."
Theodore Roosevelt

Jeremiah be careful with all these little hints im closing in on your  shed hunting ground.  ;) 

No worries turbo, if you beat me to them in my area I know you worked extremely hard, as shed hunting in march/April in this area is more difficult than any day of elk hunting:)good luck this fall and next spring

Found a very nice 5 Point shed today, while checking trail cams up in the MTN's.  A little suprised we found it that high, but we had a very Mild winter in 12-13.  So the shed was same place, that we are tracking a very large 5X5.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back