shootin ducks

bnsafe

Mar 2, 2014
arky, daughter shot some ducks this weekend, not a ton of ducks around, but for where they hunt they did very well

There are actually a fair amount in my area and holding well...should be some good hunts for opening week and then we need the weather to actually turn cold to start pushing some new ducks south...fingers crossed!!

charlie you must be hunting the middle zone. i havnt heard what the numbers are for the conservation areas yet, but know they saw more birds on the lake than they thought they would, and a fair bag of diff species, not just teal

I am in the middle zone...actually saw a group of 7-8 canvasbacks come into one of our blinds while we were putting some last minute touches on it. There were 3 bulls in the bunch. I wouldn\'t have expected any of those to be south of North Dakota yet.

I love teal on open water... Believe it or not we killed some teal coming it the timber 2 years ago... I was wondered what the heck they were doing there... Worked like mallard but didn\'t take them long to get in the hole... :lol: :lol:

Ya\'ll save a few for me but hope ya\'ll hammer um this season... :D :D

\"Ucsdryder\" said:
First shot is always to flare them arky! Only chance I have is when they flare straight up!

I use to be designated to do the flaring, till they finally saw I was killing 2 and sometimes 3 most of time with the that 1st shot... :lol: :lol:

Now I have to kill mine when that do go straight up... It\'s hard to kill 2 or 3 with 1 shot but a lot more fun... :yawn: :yawn:

A little secret to that 1st shot... I shoot a 12 ga Beretta Xtrema using 2 3/4\" or 3\" shells loaded with 1 1/4 oz of #6 steel shoot... I also use a Skeet 1 choke all the time, even for larger ducks... When the teal are coming in, like they do, in a tight group, a well placed shot at about 30 to 35 yards will put them up for easy shooting and take out at least a couple in the process... :upthumb: :upthumb:

arky, theres 11000 ducks on the conservation area i use to hunt on. thats not alot, except for this time of year it is. at its peak i usually holds 65000-75000 but this time of year i was thinking 5000. so, despite the warm weather, looks like there will be some ducks to shoot at this year. also had two groups of speckles fly over me today while i was deer hunting. i never see speckles up here in the fall, several in the spring, but never fall.

I think the ducks are hang up that way more this year due to warmer weather... Hope ya\'ll have some good hunts this year... We have very little water on the public WMA we hunt... Looks like a lot more deer hunting for us this year...

way to early to tell, all depends on when we freeze up. we dont get enuf snow anymore to push them anywhere, so just depends on freeze up.

Arky...as was said it is just way to early to tell. My hunting spots are holding a decent number of ducks already which is suprising. As Scott mentioned, it all depends on when we have our first freeze. A couple years ago, MO and the upper midwest had an early cold snap and we were iced up for about a week around the third week of November. All the birds pushed south and the new birds just kept on going south. It made for a rather slow December in MO. But, we did have one of our best years hunting in Stuttgart. I have some hunting buddies that are weather watchers, and I have to remind them that it is way to early in the season to predict anything :crazy:

I agree with way too early to predict the season but in our case and looking at previous years, even if we have ducks (which we will) where we hunt will not have enough water to handle the number of hunters much less very many ducks... Folks that have water available now seem to already have some ducks... SO water, as always, is the key for us... Not enough or too much water both can effect the area we hunt...

We have several areas of water we hunt in dry years but recently they have become popular with other hunters... So we just go with the flow and hope for good water...

Our advantage over the folks north of us is we winter a LARGE population of waterfowl... Even if we do freeze up it\'s only for a short period of time...

any chance yall will get rain arky, hopefully so and stuff will fill up for ya.
i went today, only to a small lake in the area. we shot 10 and missed a few more. no mallards yet. saw a group or two but they were high and kept on going. i had a blast and remembered why waterfowl is my passion. now to get up at 345 tom and go hope i draw a spot. if not it will be a long drive home.

Due to how wet it was this summer, it want take as much rain to flood the area we hunt... So if we can get a couple of 2\" to 3\" rains we\'ll be in business... I ready since I missed the complete season last year and the early teal season here was not very good...

went today, i shoulda coulda woulda killed my limit, except for i shot 4 teal in the first hour, then i thought i would wait for something else to show up. then, not another duck showed for 4 hours an i left. but i coulda shot a limit, easy. was fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back