Should my diaphragm look like this?

mckayam1

Jan 13, 2018
I get this little ridge on every diaphragm I use?  Is this normal?  Call seems to sound ok, but I'm not an elk either. 
e3aff2e7b9bc4a4d05525c30be526e39.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

One size fits all diaphragm, many different mouth pallets.
It's normal and not an issue. Keep on keep'n on!

You know, this is a really is great forum cause this post was ripe for wisecracks and could have gone south REAL fast. True professionals!  :haha:

Guess that's over my head with the wise crack possibility, but thanks for the input.  New elk hunters should feel welcome to ask questions that may seem trivial to seasoned hunters, I wouldn't have expected any harassing from a group like this anyways.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's all good mckatam1 and let me be the first to say WELCOME!
Just so you know, I always love to be on the lighthearted side with my friends and camp mates.  Never want anyone to feel harassed, just part of the group.
I have come across nothing but classy and caring people on this forum, so don't have any worries about questions.
My humor is a bit "seasoned" as well...lol!

Mckayam1,

That is actually a good thing! That little ridge shows that your are producing a good seal on the diaphragm, which helps focus your air across the latex, which helps with everything (volume, control, etc.). No worries there at all, and it won't affect the longevity or the quality of the sounds from the call. Good luck this fall!

I'm looking at getting several of the Phelps game diaphragms.  Never used their calls before.  Ya'll have any input on the best way to determine what size to buy in advance rather then buy several different sizes and see what works. The diaphragms I've used before are old and didn't have different size options.  Thanks

I'm new to elk but have been using diaphragm coyote calls for a few years now. Looks like the call is possibly a wee bit big for your palate. I have a medium palate and most of my diaphragm calls I trim about a 1/4" off to make them fit and seal better. If it works like that and is comfortable, great. For me, I had that same thing early on and a buddy said give it a trim and explained the palate size thing to me. Worked like a champ in my case. Something to consider.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back