Side Arm?

According to a study conducted in 2011...

"Most fatal attacks by North American black bears during the past century were conducted by lone, male animals that stalked and then killed their human victims as prey, according to a new study by the world's top authority on what triggers bear attacks....The study examined 59 fatal encounters between black bears and humans in Alaska, Canada and the Lower 48 during the 110 years ending in 2009. Some 88 percent of the 63 deaths were caused by a bear that exhibited predatory behavior, and 92 percent of these predatory black bears were male."

According to Wikepedia...Brown bears only account for four (4) more deaths than black bears since 1890.  I couldn't find any information on assaults not resulting in deaths.

Something to keep in mind is that the effects of "Pepper Spray" are approximately 70% psychological and 30% physiological (in humans)...those effects are likely similar in animals.  Most importantly, the effects of pepper spray (on humans) are insignificant on goal-oriented people.  Again, likely similar in animals, and if that bear's goal is to put the munch on you, a slight involuntary closure of it's eyes, isn't likely going to be a solution to your problem. 

I carry a Glock 23 (.40 caliber w/ 13 rounds- hollow point).  But I also get the luxury to train with it (even under stress) and am confident that 13 separate wound channels to a bear (Grizzly or Black) is more likely to stop an assualt than some pepper spray.

I know "research" has shown that pepper spray is more likely to deter an attack, but I want to stop the attack.  My two cents...if you can't hit anything with a pistol when you're "plinking" you probably won't hit a bear that is charging you and stick with pepper spray...but if you ar confident with your life on the line with a pistol...I'll take that over pepper spray any day of the week.   

enigmatic said:
I carry a Glock 23 (.40 caliber w/ 13 rounds- hollow point).  But I also get the luxury to train with it (even under stress) and am confident that 13 separate wound channels to a bear (Grizzly or Black) is more likely to stop an assualt than some pepper spray.

I know "research" has shown that pepper spray is more likely to deter an attack, but I want to stop the attack.  My two cents...if you can't hit anything with a pistol when you're "plinking" you probably won't hit a bear that is charging you and stick with pepper spray...but if you ar confident with your life on the line with a pistol...I'll take that over pepper spray any day of the week. 

^^ This!

Being comfortable and confident with your sidearm through continuous practice is key. No sense in carrying a sidearm if you aren't proficient with it. Might as well just tape some rocks to your holster.

Usually don't pack a side arm.  Wished I did one time when I came face to face with a mountain lion. Didn't attack me but needless to say made me very uncomfortable. Wasn't really scared of me. Sat and watched me till I ran at it with my arms and bow in the air...sure it was quite the site.  As far as griz country I've heard that the bear spray is more effective. Never had to use it and hope I never do.

I carry a Springfield XDm with 16 in the mag and one in the chamber. I use 180gr solids for penetration. The second half of that equation is to practice in as close to the conditions you can imagine you would be in. So sprinting 100yds then throwing one of the reactive targets and focusing on hitting it while it rolls will help simulate the target vital zone and the physical exertion from the sudden stimuli of discovering a grizzly charging. Best I have come up with.

No grizz in my country, but we have lots of cats. I always carry either my Springfield XD 40 SW, or my glock 19 9mm.  Never had to use it on a cat, but had a badger charge me one time and knocked him down pretty quick. Never would have thought he would charge, I have heard they are aggressive. Now I know.

Blakebuilds said:
I carry a Springfield XDm with 16 in the mag and one in the chamber. I use 180gr solids for penetration. The second half of that equation is to practice in as close to the conditions you can imagine you would be in. So sprinting 100yds then throwing one of the reactive targets and focusing on hitting it while it rolls will help simulate the target vital zone and the physical exertion from the sudden stimuli of discovering a grizzly charging. Best I have come up with.

Besides the reactive targets are fun!

I carry an XD .40S&W.  I have never needed it though, but maybe someday a pack of wolves will mess with me and I can finally "smoke a pack a day..."

I hate the extra weight of my .45 but adds peace of mind to solo hunting in griz country..  When hunting with someone usually just carry pepper spray

My 40 S&W goes everywhere on the mountain with me. If I were headed for grizzly country it would give me an excuse to purchase a 44 or 454 Titanium.

I carry a .41 mag... Not too many grizzlies in my country but there have been a few sightings so I'm not really worried about it. I always carry my side arm with me because I'm usually hunting alone. My Dad makes me pack a bear spray too... So far thankfully, I've only had to use my .41 once.. and that was when a long horn charged me while I was elk hunting.

Bear spray is a better deterrent and yet I still would carry a pistol for backup.  Bear spray is faster to use and covers a wider on coming path.  Just point and then the bear has got to come thru it to get to you giving you more time if you need to use deadly force.

I carry a .44 mag, but I would prefer the Glock 20.  15 rounds of 10mm has plenty of zing for wilderness defense. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back