Sidehilling

ahoelzel

Mar 30, 2018
When you are battling winds and chasing a bull and some cows, do you find it best to side-hill? Or do you prefer to beat them to an eventual position to gain the advantage?

Great question!
I think it's honestly situational and based off the timing.

If the thermals make sense for me to come from the top down, then I do that.
If they are flipped then I do that.

If it's close to some mid thermal swirl time frame, I will sit level with them until it's safe to move or I'll move in if I have the opportunity

The winds are usually more predictable if you're at the same elevation as the animals you're trying to stalk, as thermals normally travel up or down the hillside. Another advantage to being on the same level as the elk is you're less likely to be sky-lined or silhouette yourself.

That said, it's tougher to move sidehill and the animals likely won't stay put long enough for you to meet them in the middle. That's why I tend to err on the side of slightly uphill from them.

Sidehilling can be a tough gig if you are trying to find elk that you don?t know are there. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishfurlife said:
Sidehilling can be a tough gig if you are trying to find elk that you don?t know are there. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true!! I hate sidehilling. I would do it to keep wind right if I was approaching elk though. :upthumb:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back