Sight Advice

razorback

Mar 11, 2014
Looking to get a new CBE sight. It will be a Tek Hybrid Pro (slider). I\'m debating on 3 or 5 pins. I have always hunted with a 5 pin sight. I want the slider option so I can practice longer distances. If I go with a 3 it would give a cleaner view and I could have a 30, 40 and 50 yard pin. That seems like that would cover most shots for an elk. Just looking for some input for hunters who have been down this road. I went with a 1 pin slider once and that didn\'t work out too well for me.

I have been throwing the same idea back and forth. I have always used a fixed pin sight but it limits my distance to 60-65yds depending on how I setup my pins. I believe Iccyman uses the CBE sight maybe he will chime in on this. I have also looked at the single pin Spot Hogg sights along with the CBE.

I\'m obviously a rookie at this, so take it for what it\'s worth, but I decided to go with a 5 pin mainly because I\'m a big believer in \"aim small, miss small.\" That allows me to have pins from 20-60 yards in 10 yard increments. The difference in my 20 and 30 yard pin is definitely substantial and that\'s with my arrows moving almost 300 feet per second. The one thing I was able to do with my sight was to get smaller pins for my bottom two. This goes with the aim small, miss small part, but I think it opens up the sight picture a bit as well.

Just my two cents and probably worth way less than that!

I\'ve never been a fan of single pin sliders for my hunting bows. I have a tendency to forget to move them during an encounter, and it is just another thing to have to worry about. However, I have considered trying a sight that has 3 fixed and one movable fourth pin. But figured I would have the same issue on further shots. Currently, I have a sure loc lethal weapon red on my hunting bow. It is a five pin (set at 20, 25, 30 ,40, 50). These yardages give me decent pin gaps and don\'t block my sight picture. They do have smaller diameter fiber optics and narrow pins so the sight housing is pretty obstruction free for a five pin sight, but it does come at a fairly high price tag. If I was interested in a slider type sight, I would look at something that has a combination of fixed and slider pins with a smaller diameter fiber. Just my $0.02

i shoot a 3 pin slider.

it\'s taking some getting used to. at the range i am deadly to the targets. the uncluttered view is really helping me. i need to train myself to take a quick glance at the sight tape. you can easily gauge pin spacing to \"aim high\" on animals outside the pins. i just need to practice.

my bow is relatively slow. so my pins are spaced regular. i have a buddy and his 3 pins are scrunched together tightly.

my biggest mistake is making my slider pin a 0.10\" it is dimmer than the rest by a long shot. i would have been better off with a 0.19\" like the rest.

\"Colorado Russ\" said:
Derek, what sight are you using? I am looking at one with the reduced diameter pin size.
Spot Hogg Real Deal. The smaller pins are an option I believe...I bought it used though.

Just an FYI on the Spot Hogg sights. You can send them back and get them optics replaced for $10. They will also change the size of your pins for a small charge. I used to use .010 on my bottom 2 pins but just ended up changing all of them to .010.

I personally like Black Gold sights. I have a 3 pin Ascent and it works perfect for me. I have a 20, 30, and 40. Anything longer than 40 and I am ranging it anyway so I will take time to dial it to the correct distance. I am not going to rush a shot at >40 so I actually prefer this over any system I have used in the past. Personally....I am not comfortable with starting my sight pins at 30 considering almost every animal I have shot in 20+ years has been with my top pin.

I was thinking elk are big animals so I could start with a 30 yard pin. Honestly everything I\'ve killed in southern Missouri has been 20 yards or less though. I only started shooting longer distances a few years ago. I actually have a 3 pin Ascent but just don\'t care for it. I do think I can get by with 3 pins I\'ve never used the bottom 2 on my current sight except practice. I\'ve read the average shot on elk was 30 yards, that\'s how I came up with the top pin at 30.

\"razorback\" said:
I was thinking elk are big animals so I could start with a 30 yard pin. Honestly everything I\'ve killed in southern Missouri has been 20 yards or less though. I only started shooting longer distances a few years ago. I actually have a 3 pin Ascent but just don\'t care for it. I do think I can get by with 3 pins I\'ve never used the bottom 2 on my current sight except practice. I\'ve read the average shot on elk was 30 yards, that\'s how I came up with the top pin at 30.

Different strokes on the Ascent. I understand. Maybe the CBE or a Spott Hogg would be the ticket. I don\'t like the fact the fibers are more exposed on the CBE than the Ascent and the Spott Hogg\'s are typically heavy. Neither are deal breakers for me but I picked the Ascent and it works good for me with no real complaints.

I am pretty much worthless when giving advice pertaining to elk. I just look at it as I have a pin set out to 40. Anything farther than 40 would have been ranged and dialed.

The fiber exposure and pin strength concerns me a little on the CBE sights. I have looked them over and talked to some hunters who have used them in the mountains with no issues so we\'ll see. I was thinking surely if a bull was inside 30 yards I could make the shot with a 30 yard pin. That\'s where I was hoping somebody would chime in and give me their thoughts. I know I wouldn\'t do that for a whitetail but then again I don\'t have a 10 yard pin when I\'m hunting whitetails if that\'s a fair comparison.

\"razorback\" said:
The fiber exposure and pin strength concerns me a little on the CBE sights. I have looked them over and talked to some hunters who have used them in the mountains with no issues so we\'ll see. I was thinking surely if a bull was inside 30 yards I could make the shot with a 30 yard pin. That\'s where I was hoping somebody would chime in and give me their thoughts. I know I wouldn\'t do that for a whitetail but then again I don\'t have a 10 yard pin when I\'m hunting whitetails if that\'s a fair comparison.

If you know your bow (which I\'m sure you do), I see no reason why you couldn\'t have your 30 yard pin as your first. Really, it would be no different then if you have an inbetween shot and are shooting a pin gap. Be confident and know where your 30 yard pin hits at 20 yards and 10 yards and you should be good to go! On most of today\'s bows, I would expect that you are going to be about an inch high at 20 if you are shooting a 30 yard pin.

\"razorback\" said:

I think it is very doable for elk. It is hard for me to break whitetail habits but for my setup, 275 fps and 450 gr arrow, my arrow would reach its highest point 3.6\"+ at 18 yards using a 30 yard pin. That is very acceptable for an elk sized animal. I would think aiming at the top of the heart with your 30 and you are set for pretty much anything 30 and in. Also....my 30 would be 8.5\" low at 40.

I have taken this info from my sight tape program, TAP.

Well just found me a new Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg... I am going to give this a try. I think it is going to come in handy this year where I will be hunting. I am anticipating a few long shots so this will give me the added yardage that my current fixed pin setup will not.

Well broke down today and ordered my new sights. Went with the 3 pin CBE Tek Hybrib Pro. Only down side is they are on back order. I\'ll pick them up directly from the CBE folks in Kentucky in June during an ASA shoot.

I always hated the multi pin sights as they cover your target.

I now use a single pin Montana Gold ascent set at 30 yards for all my hunting. I hit 3 inches high at 20 yards and 4 inches low at 40 yards !! That\'s all I need to know.

AIM and release !! Follow the blood !!

Hope this helps

Travis

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back