Sights

dplumlee12

Dec 28, 2012
Anyone have some real life experiences with improved accuracy with the high dollar sights?  ie:  retina, react, etc...

I put on a Copper john dead nuts with micro adjust a couple of years ago, not a true high dollar sight, but the micro adjust is great, and the finer pins and fiber optics are nice. But it is still the fundamentals of shooting and bow tuning that help my accuracy.

The size of your peep sight has an impact on accuracy.  The smaller the peep the more accurate you tend to be.  But that has a draw back in hunting situations.  Since the smaller the peep the less light it allows in during low light conditions.

That being said I use Spot Hogg sights pretty much exclusively.  So I have not used any of the sights you have mentioned.

I would agree with JimBow on achieving better accuracy via shooting fundamentals vs buying a high dollar sight.  I had also thought the smaller the pin, the tighter the group however I did see a tip on TV once form a pro that said he much prefers the larger pins for hunting as he noted it's the shooting form that is more critical.  I personally have a Spot Hogg sight which I believe is a good durable and relatively easy to adjust and I like it.

i went from tru glow to spott hog. my groups are tighter due to the smaller diameter and most critical is my pins are brighter now. Not a ton of diffference. i like my tru glows

I used to shoot indoors in a winter league and one feature of the sight i uded then was the dovetail extended sight, I think that extra distance helps in accuracy if money was not an issue look for a micro-adjustable sight with a long dovetail extender.

I use a montana black gold "rush" site. It is great and has a lifetime no fault warranty on it.

dplumlee12 said:
Anyone have some real life experiences with improved accuracy with the high dollar sights?  ie:  retina, react, etc...

I've stuck with Montana Black Gold sights due to durability and brightness of pins (without battery light--their illegal in Idaho).  Not sure what you mean by "High End" sights you are mentioning.  Can you share more info?

Well maybe not high end...  I was really looking at sights with some kind of "guarantee" to shoot better.  The IQ series with the retina lock for instant says they guarantee you 20 more yards of accurate shooting....

I went with a spot hogg but not because it made me shoot better but because the way they are built. Going though brush or getting your sight bumped is where a study sight comes in handy. On cheaper sights I have had the optics pulled out of pins and pins come loose with the cheaper sights

I just picked up a Trophy Ridge React - it claims to "auto" set out to 60 yards after setting your 20 & 30 yard pins. Haven't had a chance to test it yet so I will have to update after I send a few arrows down range.

dplumlee12 said:
Well maybe not high end...  I was really looking at sights with some kind of "guarantee" to shoot better.  The IQ series with the retina lock for instant says they guarantee you 20 more yards of accurate shooting....

I use the 7-pin IQ Bowsight on two of my bows and I love it. I have used dozens of different sights and the IQ is great. Not only was I able to get it set up quickly, but the retina lock is a surefire way to keep from torquing the bow. I attest that the IQ series is great and I would highly recommend it.

I cant find a sight that I think will hold up better than a spot hog. They are just built tough. Most other sights always have a weak link from what I have seen not that other siights arent good. Im still shooting a spot Hogg 7DP.

I like my black gold sights but I also have a nice copper John sight too and I shoot well with it also.

I prefer a 4 pin site over a five or more because I'm just not into taking longer shots than 35 yards sound travels fast enough that past 35 yards you just can't depend on making a clean kill shot.  I hear a lot about 40 50 60 yard shots but I want to ensure a good kill.

As Rocky mountain hi put it, I've stuck with Montana Black Gold sights due to durability and brightness of pins (without battery light--their illegal in Idaho). 
I had Steve from S&S archery put a Black Gold together for me, and have shot it for 2 years or so, I have not had any problems with it. It has traveled to Washington by plane as well as this year to Colorado by pickup. I spent the money and haven't looked back. :D

I looked at the Black Gold sights and they look like very nice ones. I am still rather new to archery so I went with a Trophy Ridge React sight that auto adjusts out to 60 yards after setting 20 and 30 yard pin. Just received it in the mail so I will re-post with review.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back