Single Bevel 2x Blade

Bails-UK

Jun 20, 2013
Hi Guys, Im prepping for my bi-yearly trip from UK to the Colorado Rockies for Elk Archery Season, I'm yet to get my first Elk, but I'm certain thing will happen when they're supposed too.
My question is, I'm looking at switching from my 125grn Slick tricks and 125grn VPA Terminator 3x blade to a 125grn single bevel 2x blade BH, but cannot afford the Grizzly Stick or Ashby. Anybody use a single bevel 125grn and if so, what do you use, why and would you recommend.

I?ve heard good things about RMC Cutthroat but haven?t tried them myself yet 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are several companies that make single bevel that are cheaper in price. Dirtnap makes one or https://bonebroadheads.com.  I personally shoot grizzlystik Maasai 200 gr. Grizzlystik are made so that they can be reused over and over by resharpening them.

I have noticed when you do use the single bevels or heavier broadheads you really need to step up your spine to get them to fly right. I also am shooting an arrow with a total weight hovering around the 650gr mark. So you combine that with a high FOC % your arrow needs to be stiff.

Check out dirtnap and check out bone broadheads. A lot more reasonable and I?ve shot both and prefer bone broadheads over dirtnap.

A buddy uses these - http://www.stricklandsarchery.com/helix.aspx

Ive shot the 125gr but not hunted with them

Dave, first of all I think it's awesome you make it out from the UK every other year to go elk hunting. That's pretty cool!

Can I ask you why you are considering the switch?

About the only single bevel tool I can think of that is worth a darn is a lawnmower blade.

Thanks Guys, sorry not replied earlier, work is busy at the no.

Cohunter, thanks fella, since I was 15 I'd wanted to hunt Elk in the backcountry, after reading a story in a magazine about some crazy dudes who disappear into the mountains with bows to hunt an animal called an Elk, I was sold. Took me till I was 37 yrs old to finally fulfil my dream, 10yrs and 5x trips later I feel like I belong to the mountains.... I love it and I ain't even got an Elk yet(been real close, but the stars haven't quite lined up for me yet. 7x7 herd bull I called in to 54yds being my best yet).

My reason for switching is partly due to having to drop draw weight and the other being resharpening. My shoulder has always had issues with drawing too much weight, my bow is set for 67#, but that will have to drop as I cannot pull that back at the moment and wish to find a head that will get penetration when i drop the poundage and still cause damage. I'm also after something I can resharpen, rather than replacing blades, which in a country that doesn't allow bowhunting, it kinda gets expensive to ship in from USA.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

Bails-UK said:
Thanks Guys, sorry not replied earlier, work is busy at the no.

Cohunter, thanks fella, since I was 15 I'd wanted to hunt Elk in the backcountry, after reading a story in a magazine about some crazy dudes who disappear into the mountains with bows to hunt an animal called an Elk, I was sold. Took me till I was 37 yrs old to finally fulfil my dream, 10yrs and 5x trips later I feel like I belong to the mountains.... I love it and I ain't even got an Elk yet(been real close, but the stars haven't quite lined up for me yet. 7x7 herd bull I called in to 54yds being my best yet).

My reason for switching is partly due to having to drop draw weight and the other being resharpening. My shoulder has always had issues with drawing too much weight, my bow is set for 67#, but that will have to drop as I cannot pull that back at the moment and wish to find a head that will get penetration when i drop the poundage and still cause damage. I'm also after something I can resharpen, rather than replacing blades, which in a country that doesn't allow bowhunting, it kinda gets expensive to ship in from USA.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

Just throwing it out and I am sure that many others will too, but with a good shot you'll still zip through the elk like butter at a lower poundage.
I shoot my bow at 59lbs and when I made a good shot, I would have a pass through. When I made a bad shot, I would not.
My concern was more my total arrow weight verse which cutting head I had on top.

You will definitely be able to sharpen those single bevels to be like a razor!
I've got a good friend who shoots a recurve and he's killed many elk with hand sharpened single bevel heads.

Just pitching in to see if I can help someone out who is making an incredible journey and commitment to hunt elk. I currently shoot an Elite at 62 lbs draw pull and am using the Helix single bevel 125 grain blade designed and sold by Tim Strickland (former Olympic Team archery coach) right here in Colorado. Have tried a lot of blades and have settled on these. They shoot right with my field points - I have never had to make an adjustment. They help with arrow spin and are turning as they enter the target so they have potential for making an impressive exit and entry wound (have been used in Africa on big game). They are thick (one of the thickest on the market) cut-on-contact blades, and are easy to sharpen using the small sharpener available from the Strickland website. They will split bone (several You Tube videos attesting to this). Tim designed and started manufacturing these blades after losing a huge bull using another blade - he vowed that would never happen again. They are not cheap, about $55/3 but for the money and performance they are a great blade and so easy to use. I shoot them with a 350 spine VAP arrow, AAE Pro Max four-fletch, and FOC is about 15%. Not worried at all about penetration or performance.

Thanks Wilderness Sojourner, they look a nice broadhead and get great reviews, I've been on the website and am gonna order some, look easy to sharpen too. Thanks again man 👍

What is your overall arrow weight?  Also, if you want a cost effective broadhead that is deadly on elk, get a 2 blade buzzcut or black hornet. Both are excellent heads that fly great and have lifetime warranties. 

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just ordered some Kudu Point Contours and Classics. Shot both of them this morning out to 100yds, and they did well.

http://www.kudupoint.com/products/

I'm not sure if the contour is really any better than the classic, so if you want to save some $$$, go with the classics. I don't have any experience with them on game, but they were shaving sharp and I can't imagine them not doing well. Hopefully I'll test a couple of them on some critters this fall.

big44a4 said:
I?ve heard good things about RMC Cutthroat but haven?t tried them myself yet 

big44a4, I took a look at the Cutthroat today and like you said they get great reviews and they fly under the same flag as the VPA Terminators I currently use, so with that being said, I think I'll give them a try..... they're also cheaper than most single bevel BH's too.

Back