Single Pin Sights

HuntTheFront

May 13, 2014
How many of you have attempted to hunt elk with a single pin sight?

I love my single pin personally, but I have yet to shoot an elk with one on my setup.

Do you guys tend to go for a 3 pin, 5 pin, 7 pin, or single?

FWIW.  I have never used a single pin sight but last year I had a friend who used a single pin sight. He missed a cow because the cow was 50 yards but there was a single branch at 20 yards that he killed instead. I think if he had been using a multi pin sight he might have "seen" the branch and been able to adjust the shot.

Spot Hogg 7 DP sight here. Things can happen fast and I'd forget to move the pin. Seen too many misses both 3D and in the field.

I prefer a single sight pin because for me in lower light conditions I find the multi pins blur my target too much. My single pin is adjustable, but I practice for the instance that I am unable to adjust the pin for one reason or another. I practice on a life size bull target and leave my pin set at 50 yards & shoot from various ranges to know where I should place my pin. If you don't have a life size target a bull elk roughly measures 30" from brisket to the top of the shoulder. At 50 I'm center mass in the chest (15" mark). At 40 yards I place my pin about 6" lower and for both the 30 & 20 a few inches above the brisket. At 60 my pin sits at about spins level or a couple of inches below the top of the shoulder. If you've ranged several markers where you expect elk and one spooks and jumps further than your pin is set it will help make a quicker shot.

My eye sight has started to go and the single pin has helped in aiming. Multipins seemed to be blurry. I set my sight at 35 yards and leave it there. I am sure there are other fine sights but my Montana Black Gold has served me well.

I prefer the trophy taker option 8, I have six fixed 20-70yds and one floater set at 80, its nice when the animal is moving and you have multiple lanes your not trying to adjust while you should be shooting.

I've used one for the last 9 seasons and it's never been an issue.  I set my at 35yds and just aim high or low.  Anything over 40yds I use my rangefinder and slide it to the exact yardage.  Make sure to practice especially 3Ds and you'll be fine.  Most of the the elk I've taken are usually under 35yds.  Antelope & Mule deer usually tend to be 40-50yds or farther.  It definitely clears up you sight picture. 

Most people who don't care for a single pin, usually don't shoot it enough to get comfortable with it. 

I use a Montana Black Gold Ascent.

I don't know, I shoot 30-40 arrows each and every day, I still like my fixed pin sight. I have seen and heard of a lot of game missed due to forgetting to move the pin. Even seen it on the 3D course. To each his own.

I shoot a MBG Ascent single pin also. I haven't killed anything while using it yet but I love it for targets and 3D! Very clean sight picture. I do similar to what the other guys said previously. I leave it set on 30 yards. Hold a little low for 20 and a little high for 40. I practice out to 50 with it set on 30 and know my hold overs. Anything over that I adjust.

5-pin fixed here.

For me, its just one less thing to have to dink with in the moment while hunting. Having an adjustable single pin for a 3D bow is sweet though.

I use the Spot Hogg, Hogg Father single pin slider.  Hunting buddy uses the Tommy Hogg single pin slider.  We hunt with them using the Trick Pin system.  One setting and we can shoot an elk from 10-45 yards without moving the sight.

This spring I up graded to a single pin mbg ascent verdict. I've been practicing a lot and I am shooting better than ever right now (I have upgraded a few other things and been really working on form). So hopefully this September I will kill and elk with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pockets380 said:
I shoot a MBG Ascent single pin also. I haven't killed anything while using it yet but I love it for targets and 3D! Very clean sight picture. I do similar to what the other guys said previously. I leave it set on 30 yards. Hold a little low for 20 and a little high for 40. I practice out to 50 with it set on 30 and know my hold overs. Anything over that I adjust.
Yep that's what I'm practicing also

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back