Siskiyou, CA Bull Elk

elledge

Jul 18, 2018
  Hey all.  I?m brand new here and looking for some advice!  I was recently drawn for a bull elk in CA, I couldn?t believe it either.  This will be my first elk hunt and I don?t know the area very well.  I just got back from scouting for 4 days and the smoke from the Klamathon fire made for zero glassing opportunities.  I?m sure the newer fires aren?t going to help much and I?m not sure if it will change the hunt completely.  However, I did hike around a lot, saw deer mountain, areas near Tennant, Ball mountain.  I used the information I have gathered so far from some online sources including the UEH.  I saw some scat, thought I heard some cows in the early morning in one area near Ball mountain.  I?m just trying to gather as much information as I can to give 110% to this hunt.  Basically I?m a new guy, that won the lottery, that?s in way over his head and cant afford a guide.  If anyone has any pointers or information for me I?d greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!

Welcome to the site elledge!  :welcome:

My advise would be to continue going through the UEH course, multiple times if you can. And when questions come up, jump on here and ask away! There's no such thing as a stupid question and there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this site who are willing to help.

In the meantime, tell us more about the hunt. When is the hunt? Are you doing archery, rifle, muzzleloader? Without naming exact locations, what are your plans as of now?

Hey cohunter14,

Thanks for the welcome.  I have been on UEH quite a bit and learning a TON!

The hunt is in the Siskiyou Unit of California, covers all of C1 and some of X1 deer zones.  The season is Sep 5-16.  I will be up there Sep 3-13, I have a wedding to go to but if I',m on the right track for an elk, I just might have to send something cooler from the registry apologizing for missing the wedding lol!  My tag is fo bull elk, general methods, I'm going to use a rifle to increase my odds.  I've been talking to a lot of people on many forums and I was looking to start at Martin's Dairy, however I hear there is a lot of pressure from the archery deer hunt.  I will be looking at Ball Mountain and Mt. Hebron.

I've been brushing up on my cow calling as well.

Thanks again,
James

man, you hit the lotto big time!!
i dont know that area real well, but i've heard there are whoppers there!!
good luck..if i wasnt elsewhere, i would be tempted to meet up and be your second pair of eyes.  that is a stunning draw here in CA.  congrats.

Hi Elledge,
  How did you end up last year?  I think you may have talked to my partner that helps us guide around the Goosenest / Willow Creek Mtn / Ball Mtn area... We offer guided hunts for the Siskiyou elk unit and connect tag holders with property owners if they are only wishing to get access.

Hopefully you had some luck,

cheers,

Jesse.

elledge said:
Hey cohunter14,

Thanks for the welcome.  I have been on UEH quite a bit and learning a TON!

The hunt is in the Siskiyou Unit of California, covers all of C1 and some of X1 deer zones.  The season is Sep 5-16.  I will be up there Sep 3-13, I have a wedding to go to but if I',m on the right track for an elk, I just might have to send something cooler from the registry apologizing for missing the wedding lol!  My tag is fo bull elk, general methods, I'm going to use a rifle to increase my odds.  I've been talking to a lot of people on many forums and I was looking to start at Martin's Dairy, however I hear there is a lot of pressure from the archery deer hunt.  I will be looking at Ball Mountain and Mt. Hebron.

I've been brushing up on my cow calling as well.

Thanks again,
James

Grew up in Siskiyou County...Love that area and where I started chasing things with a bow! Chasing, being the key word... :-D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back