Sitka

dplumlee12

Dec 28, 2012
I just received some Sitka gear for Christmas.  Haven't had a chance to use it yet but am very pleased with the feel of it.  I've been eyeballing it a bunch and leaving lots of hints for my wife.  I think she got the idea!

I received the ascent pants but am thinking of swapping for the mountain pants.  Anyone have something to add?

love the ascent pants...definitely give you the fit and function to wear all day and remain comfortable!

I got the light jacket without the hood. I was real impressed with how well it kept me warm for as thin and light as it was. Only complaint is that it seems to loose its stitching to easily. I'm afraid to use it in this brush because I find loose threads on the arms when I do..

Good to know Garrett.  I was looking at getting that same shirt.  I might opt for something a little more durable.

I've got the timberline pants and they are awesome.  I also use the core LS, traverse zip t, jet stream vest, and 90% jacket.  so far it's all been bombproof.  I love the fit and flexibility.  by far the most comfortable hunting clothing I have ever wore

I have the Sitka Core Crew LS, Mountain Pants, Jetstream Vest and 90% Jacket.
This is a bomb proof system for any conditions.

The only thing which I bought and sold as far as Sitka goes was their Stormfront Lite Jacket and Pants. They made to much noise for me while wearing it. I ditch the pants after 5 minutes of use in the rain as I could not walk without them making the swish-swish noise with every step. I hunted for two days in the rain on my mountain pants. They were not dry, but definitely not soaked either.

Thanks for the info ghost... I'm sold on the mountain pants... probalby end up with almost same as you have.

I have the ascent pants.  Served me WELL this season.  I layered them with Core bottoms and was fine for the late season archery hunts.  They have gotten a few snags from burrs in them around my boots.  I will definitely still wear them.  One of the next things on my list are the Mountain Pants, I have heard nothing but praise about them!

I would opt for the Mountain pants over the Ascent...I was comfortable in 90 degree heat in the Mountain pants (and I don't hunt in a tree stand if you know what I mean).  Additionally, they have the scuff pads on the insides where you may brush boots and also additional pockets.

I generally rock the Mountain pant, LS Core, Jetstream Vest, 90% Jacket and Ascent 14 (great pack).  I put the pants through buck brush, red brush and just about any other brush you can find in Idaho and no snags or issues. 

I found the Timberline pant too hot for any temperature or hunt over 45 degrees.  I have also added the Kelvin Lite Vest and enjoy the packability as it compresses very nicely...actually thinking of selling the Jetstream Vest. 

Like many, I was skeptical about spending the money, but I hunted hard this year for consecutive days and Sitka held up great and was extremely comfortable each day.  My only negative was with the Stormfront (not Lite) Pant...maybe a little too noisy, and where the boots rub near the bottom, there is already some fabric shred.  I did put it to good use though and ran it through red brush and other less desirable brush, no rips or tears!  Actually going to archery hunt in the Kryptek Koldo Rain Pant...super quiet and also comfortable...(keeping the Stormfront Jacket though).

As far as the Sitka line, the ascent can't be beat for warm hunts. Only Sitka that I still have and haven't sold off to buy Kuiu.

I wear the Open Country Core Crew LS, Traverse hoody, Timberline Pants. 

I hunt the thick sagebrush for Mule Deer and never had a problem with any loose threads.  Overall its great Camo for somewhat of an expensive price but you cant beat Sitka Gear.

You need to be more specific if you are asking if we have more thoughts about what pants you should go with. Early season warmer temp hunts that are calling, sitting, etc is hands down Ascent. If you are looking for something for later season, or maybe more crawling, shimmying, belly dragging on the ground, cooler temps then you may want the Mountain pants. How about you keep the Ascents and order the Mountain pants up. Now you have best of both worlds!

Love the stuff!  I have Traverse beanie, gloves, balaclava, and zip t, core zip t, 90% jacket, jetstream vest, shooter glove, and mountain pants.  I would like to say one piece is better than the other, but all of it's equally awesome.  I have not tried the ascent pant, but the mountain pant is definitely a great pant from early season on into late season, you can't go wrong.  I don't usually get over heated so a little heavier stuff doesn't bother me.

I have a few different sets of this stuff and love it. The downpour raingear is much more quiet than any gore tex I could find. Also the merino long sleeve shirt was great last year light weight and seemed to keep the smells down when it was hot out.

I have the timber line love them and if I was hunting  in 45 degrees I would have a base layer on they are not that warm they breath good. Besides if you get warm you can open your fly.lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back