Skills that contribute to success

Jimbow65

Dec 28, 2012
What skills do you think contribute to your hunting success and consistency?
it may be calling, scouting, hunting instinct, knowledge of the land or animals. whatever, I would love to hear.

Its all about the dedication,sticking with it walking further,going where others won't,and willing to work for it.knowing the elk habits and knowing your area.

Being in great physical shape,  knowledge of where you hunt, having a confident and positive attitude until the very last second of the last minute on the last hour of the hunt, knowing how to call and when or when not to call.

Certainly there are many skills which contribute to success, but one item that I believe helps is a simple preparation.  Carrying the minimal gear to spend a night in the woods gives a hunter the confidence to probe in to the next valley, or over the next ridge.  Rarely is an unplanned overnight required, but proper gear will expand the possibilities of areas to look for that monster bull.   

practice practice practice with your bow.  Still waking up in sweats over my two missed chances from last season.  all the prep, physical conditioning and gear dont make a difference if you miss.

Physical condition and endurance, knowing how to use your gear, positive attitude, ability to change tatics and locations, shooting skills, calling skills, knowing game habits and sign;  a little luck never hurts!

I'm going to echo others here...physical conditioning, constant shooting practice, "practice" using all your gear so you're comfortable using it in the woods during a pouring rainstorm, wind, snow, etc., and scouting...not in any particular order.  They're all important.  Oh yeah, don't forget a little luck thrown in too!

Jimbow65 said:
What skills do you think contribute to your hunting success and consistency?
it may be calling, scouting, hunting instinct, knowledge of the land or animals. whatever, I would love to hear.

Scouting for sure, followed closely by practicing and conditioning.

I do not get to hunt more the a mile or so from the roads because of my dad age so what works the best for us is scouting for a good spot and learning to call well enough to get responses. Where we hunt, if they are close enough to hear, they are close enough to hunt:)

The other part is knowing your shooting equipment, make sure you bow and arrows are tuned and driving tacs. Shoot enough that you know your shooting limits and are very confident with hitting what you are aiming at!

I think it is hunting instinct. I have a brother who is 6 years older than I am and is yet to kill an elk and I'm 27. He just doesn't get how they think or act. We have been in and around elk alot, he just hasn't been able to seal the deal for whatever reason.

I found the one thing that made you successful is not being scared to blow the stalk.  You must get close enough to close the deal with a bow.  To many times have I seen hunters hang up just out of range. 

Go get that elk be sure of your skills take it slow but remember he has girls on his mind and is a little stupid.

Close the distance quickly when you see or hear a bull. Know how to properly call. Don't be tentative when making a move - fully commit and be aggressive. Take a chance when necessary, i.e... If you need 3 steps to shoot a bull, but there are other elk visible that you are worried about, just ignore the other elk, take those 3 steps and make your chance happen. 90% of the time, those other elk will just watch it happen and not bust out of there until after the shot.

Ron Niziolek - Elk101.Com/Extreme Elk magazine

Scout, stay positive, know the area well, when all else fails..be aggressive. I might add that you can't catch fish if your line isn't in the water...stay out there, every day you can.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back