sleeping bag

IdahoElkHunter

Feb 24, 2014
I'm looking for a good backpacking sleeping bag, any suggestions? I'm looking at north face, and I don't know whether to get a 20 degree bag or a 35 degree bag, or should i look at another temp range? it would be primarily for September elk hunting but also for summer backpacking trips.
any info is appreciated!

I run a Kelty cosmic down 0deg. Same time of year what I've found is that rating of most sleeping bags isn't as good as they say

watch camofire they always have some come up i run a 0 bag too with a fleece liner im looking at a lighter bag same temp maybe a badlands mummy bag

You can get a quality Kelty,Marmot or similar brand of 0-20 deg bag and never get cold. Cheap.Down or syn.
Look for sales @ REI,Campmore,or Sierra Trading post.

I have a 17 degree Big Agnes Bellyache mountain mummy bag that I've liked so far. If I were to be buying a bag again I would go with a lighter weight bag that has a higher temp rating. For August and September here in Utah it's still plenty warm on average. Plus if you think about having multi purpose gear your base layers can be worn while you sleep to make colder temp ranges more comfortable. Also remember that a tent will usually keep you 10 degrees warmer than the external temperature.
If you're not worried about extra weight then it's not as big of deal but like I said if I did it all over again I'd be buying the 30 degree temp range. Bags from Big Agnes, Kelty, Marmot, North Face, or any other reputable manufacturer should do you just fine!

Idk if this has been mentioned, id buy an army sleeping system online. They come in three sections, a outer cold weather sleeping bag, a lighter one that zips inside of the heavy one, and a wet weather shell that covers it all. Also comes with a nice case. Its designed to be light dry and warm and thats exactly what it is. I pack that a tarp some 550 and a hammock and the work great here in high country colorado.

I just was delivered two sleeping bags I wanted to test out. Sierra Designs Zissou and Sierra Designs backcountry bed. The Zissou is a mummy style. Where the backcountry bed is more open, and has a comforter built in. Talk about comfortable and feeling like you are sleeping in a bed with a blanket....kinda like home. I sent the Zissou back and will be keeping the backcountry bed.

By the way, both use the DriDown.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back