Sleeping bag

scotttgill

Jun 15, 2018
I plan to do my first elk hunt (backpack hunt) next year in late October/ early November in southern Colorado. I'm slowly and steadily getting equipment and I'm having a tough time settling on a sleeping bag. I'm from Texas so I obviously am not used to Colorado cold. I'm also a teacher so I don't need to break my bank. I'm looking for a warm bag that's easy to pack down tight in a backpack. Any suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time...

you have a temp rating in mind?  i sleep cold too. getting worse as i get older. 

IF i could do it again, i would get a 10 deg.  one from Western Mountaineering.  i have a 20, and it's juuuust there.

you probably dont want to hear this now, but a sleeping pad is equally important when it comes to staying warm.

Thank you for your response... yeah, I was definitely thinking lower than 20. Fortunately, I already got a pretty good pad (ran into a good sale a while back). I will definitely check out your suggestion.

Hey Scott. For the price and comfot the Klymit 20 degree back is super solid.  I?m a bigger frame guy and I don?t feel strained in the mummy bag at all. I run a solid pad as well and have no issues.  Even though it?s a 20 degree back the lower temp rating for a guy is 10 degree.  Always a point too is to make sure the bag has an EN rating which is an international standard for rating bag temps.  Another note is that all of the bags are assuming that you have a base layer on AND are properly hydrated. I know some folks say what?s that got to do with anything. Well quite a bit. If you?re hydrated your body has the ability to function properly create maintain and store heat better. 

Klymit is a solid brand. Treated down, water repellent and protectent applied. Lifetime warranty.  Oh and they also make a 0 bag. Both for under $300

Thats fantastic info. Thank you... Klymit has some good products and I'll definitely check this out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back