Sleeping System

BrentLaBere

Jan 7, 2013
I have been participating in the other threads where some of us have discussed tents, sleeping bags and mats. Well my concern is now with all of them what type of weather can I handle. Now I know this comes down to personal preference and ones own comfort level but generally speaking what temperatures can I handle with my equipment  What kind of weather can I expect?

Scenario: Hunting in western Montana, roughly 7000' to 8500' in elevation, and the time of year will be from September 7th-17th. I may or may not be spike/bivy camping through out the entire duration.
Equipment: BA UL2, Therm-a-rest Neoair, 40 deg bag. My concern is the bag. Now I have also read that you can get away with this, meaning plenty people use a 30 deg bag, system because of layering. I havent been able to test my setup yet and need to. But I am looking for experienced hunters opinion.
Sleeping in my merino wool or underarmor at night. Last year I did the same thing but my problem was not having a synthetic bag. I had napped in it during the day basically sweating on my bag, then the temps decided to drop into the high 20's and I froze........well I was uncomfortable.
before I ramble on any further what is everyone's system when in the back country? Tips from learned lessons before....ect....ect

I use a therma rest neo air and a 15 degree Marmot Helium bag.  I'm generally warm natured, but I've set myself up to be comfortable in the event of a cold snap.  I stay comfortable with this set up and don't require additional layers of clothing while I sleep.  But it can be a little warm if its an abmormally warm night, but this hasn't been common with it generally between 25-45 at night.  Personally, I'd rather sleep with the bag open at night than have to shiver my way through a cold night.  JMO.

during last years hunt, I used a Kelty 20 degree down bag and a thermarest pad. there was a light frost most mornings, but not exceptionally cold, I was comfortable every night with a base layer and socks on.
I have used the same sleep system this spring and had some uncomfortable nights. The last night I was out this spring, I added a fleece bag to the outside of my down bag, and zipped my jacket around the footbox. I was then comfortable, the temp in the morning was the low 20's with a hard frost.

I think the airflow through the shelter makes a huge difference too. If you are using a tarp vs, a bivvy or one man enclosed tent

I try to test everything my safety, success and comfort depend upon before I am dependent on it.

I went a head and updated my bag. An over night test into the low 30's proved I needed a warmer bag. I knew this to start with but was able to exchange mine where I got it and order one on sale. Got a heck of a deal on a warmer bag that will compress to the same size.

Yea I have been looking to update my bag as well.  What did you go with?  I've been looking at the Columbia omni-heat sleeping bags.  They seem pretty nice and have good reviews.  Who's got recommendations for light weight quality bags that come in under $200.00?

Montana_BackCountry said:
Yea I have been looking to update my bag as well.  What did you go with?  I've been looking at the Columbia omni-heat sleeping bags.  They seem pretty nice and have good reviews.  Who's got recommendations for light weight quality bags that come in under $200.00?

I went with this bag http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Big-Agnes-McAlpin-SL-0-Degree-Sleeping-Bag_10210854_10208_10000001_-1_

My other north face mummy I returned was 40 degree and cost 95$. So on the exchange plus matching their price I got an awesome deal....came out to 200 with shipping. I almost feel guilty for that, haha, almost ;)

Even at 24% off it is a really good deal. I am not quite sure how they measure their bags though. For the North face and the BA sleeping bag I was able to fit in the regular (6'-0"). I am 6'-2" and fit fine.

haha yeah it does seem that way every time i get equipment!!! ???
Finding the right deal is what sells me on it.

Using Therma-rest Pro-lite pad and a choice of bags depending on conditions.
Marmot Never summer down bag -20 for cold ,Kelty Tundra 15deg syn for the rest. The Marmot was $120and the Kelty was $65. Got them on sale, check REI or your local shop for deals.
The Pro-lite pad is tapered and fits in an OR bivy ,but I usually take the Kelty Gunnison 2.0 tent if any bad weather in forecast. Nothing worse than being stuck in a bivy in prolonged rain or snow,even with a Siltarp. I'm 6'2" and fit with room to spare as I get long bags.
I have an down bag in my truck at all times for emergencies and another Synthetic bag for campouts and back-up20 deg. 
I love good gear and look for deals whenever they come up.

Now that season is underway, and everyone has had some nights out to test their sleep system in real life conditions I would like to know who is really satisfied with their sleep system, what do you have and what conditions were like for comfort.
I am on the fence on upgrading my sleeping bag, it is a big purchase to upgrade. I would like some suggestions.
  My two requirement is it has to be backpackable (sub 3# and pack small < 8x15) and warm to 20 degrees (not survive warm, but comfort warm)

I am using the [font=arial, sans-serif]Sierra Designs Zissou 12 Sleeping Bag with the Big Agnes insulated air core pad.  I have some back issues along with sciatica so i comfort is important to me.  [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Temps down to 34 degrees I was comfortable, but needed to have base layer to stay really warm. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Also decided to bring a super lightweight foam pad to put under my air core, and that made all the difference in the world.  Only about 10 ounces and cost a whopping $20.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Unfortunately my elk hunting is over for the year, but my mule deer hunt will be later this month.. we'll see how warm my setup is then.[/font]

Jimbow65 said:
Now that season is underway, and everyone has had some nights out to test their sleep system in real life conditions I would like to know who is really satisfied with their sleep system, what do you have and what conditions were like for comfort.
I am on the fence on upgrading my sleeping bag, it is a big purchase to upgrade. I would like some suggestions.
  My two requirement is it has to be backpackable (sub 3# and pack small < 8x15) and warm to 20 degrees (not survive warm, but comfort warm)

I have several season using both the Kifaru 0 and 20degr Slick bags, both will work for your stated needs. My Montbell UL Super Spiral, and Spiral Down Huggers (both 0degr) would meet your requirements as well.

I ended up testing my gear to an extent I never really planned on.
BA UL2 flycreek tent with a neo air pad and a BA Mcalpin. Held up through the storms that dumped snow on western Montana. Night time temps dropped in the low 20s with well over a foot of snow the first night. Started to have condensation problems because the rain fly couldn't hold up with the heavy snow. Very little on the outside of the bag. Little bit on the lower portions of the tent. Also would like to add ZERO ice build up. Something my kelty did in the 30's!
I did end up wearing merino bottoms and top with a beanie and stayed comfortable. Only got a little cold(felt cold) when the snow build up started weighing down on the sides of the tent and onto me.

Very pleased with the system. Only thing to add is a suppression strap to save on room for the BA bag.
Posted a picture of the snow in the late season archery thread.

Jimbow65,
This year was my first year out elk hunting. We hunted NW Colorado and camped at 10,600 or so and had overnight temps that ranged from the low 50's to low 20's maybe upper teens. I ran a Marmot Helium 15 degree bag with a Thermarest Neoair pad and was comfortable. On the colder nights I wore Underarmor and a fleece beanie to cover my bald head. I usually woke up a little damp from sweat. On the warm nights I slept in my skivies and had the bag zipped down half way. I noticed that it was about 10-15 degrees warmer in our tent than the outside air temp. Not sure what model of tent it was as it was my partners, but it was a Marmot with double vestibules.  I was surprised it held that much heat because the tent was about 85% screen.

Arnold

Arnold & Brent

Thanks for your input, I did notice that the shelter can make a huge difference in the comfort rating of a sleeping bag.

Brent, sounds like you got some nasty weather on your last trip.

Does anyone have any experience with a quilt like the ones made by Enlightened Equipment?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back