Snow Peak Giga Power

BrentLaBere

Jan 7, 2013
Any have experience with these stoves? I wanted a stove I could simmer and possibly cook with. Great light weight stove in the right conditions with summer testing. Just curious how it will hold up in windy and cold conditions. Mainly use it for boiling water, but would like to hear how it worked from experienced users.

I do not have a Snow Peak Giga but I did buy a nice little stove off ebay paid $8 for it just to see what it might do. Boy it works great if you want to see one like I bought go to walmart
and look for the one they have it is $25 the same thing I have and mine came with a little
storage box and I mean little. Try and see but if I can getthe same for less I will. Hey you have wasted $10 before try it and I think you will like it. Get your fuel at Walmart but do some checking before you buy give it a try!!
That is my 2 cents worth.
Thanks
David T.
Eph.3:20
1st. Kings 21:3

Brent,

If I were you, I'd steer clear of any open flame stove.  A good friend of mine and I were backpacking, he was using the giga power and I was using an MSR Reactor.  By the time he had his water boiling, I had already boiled 3 cups of water and had meals in their bags getting ready to eat. 

Those open flame stoves just aren't very efficient with the heat.  They're super lightweight, but the moment you're in a windy condition, expect your boil time to increase.  I'm a huge fan of the MSR reactor series.  I really only boil water in my pots so I don't need a "simmer" setting to be available. 

Giga powers are great stoves, but just aren't efficient except in the overall weight.

I did a review on the MSR reactor at www.bylandco.com.

http://www.bylandco.com/bylandgearreviews/msr-reactor-review

Hope this helps!

-Emory
www.bylandco.com

I've ussed one since 1996.  I always camp where I'm out of the wind.  Is it the fastest at boiling water no, but it's not far behind.  I also bought the wind protector for it and it definitely helps. 

Last year I bought a MSR WindBurner stove when it was on sale.  They get great reviews and boil water very fast and there very effeicent on fuel. 

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/stove-systems/windburner/product

Can't go wrong with either one!

I agree with Manhunter, you really can't go wrong with either.  It's really just a matter of pulling the trigger.  They all boils water and all function pretty well in normal conditions.  Unless you're planning on being in crazy altitudes and crazy low temps, the giga power, MSR Reactor, or Windburner. 

I'm just a fan of having an enclosed flame but...I will say this.  A buddy of mine uses the exposed flame on the giga power stove to light fires.  So that's something...haha!

Good luck!

Emory
www.byland.co

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back