So close

Glacier Country

Nov 13, 2013
So with football and practice my wife and son only have Sunday to hunt. So I have stayed closer home and tried to locate some hard to find elk here.
I went out Saturday and I only found 6 elk with one smallish 5pt. He doesn\'t bugle much and with the wolf sign there its no wonder. The wind in this spot is tricky as well. So Sunday we are all packed up and head out to the spot. It seems a DUDE drives right to them at first light. He has got a really little kid so he is road hunting and weather he knows it or not drives right past the elk. So I spend most of the morning trying to relocate them, to no avail.
Fast forward to the evening... I go to a different spot where I had seen a little bit of elk sign.
I am making a little video of my wife and kids blowing our elk calls when we hear a bugle in the distance answer the calls.
Too far away to tell if it is a hunter or the real thing...
I said lets get in the truck and go up the road to check if there is a pickup there. It is probably a DUDE.
So we go up the road a ways no pickup is seen but we come to a spot that might be good for video. So I get my family in the shot and they all bugle and cow call a bit . Then my daughter bugles right toward the camera and a real bull lights up. Holy crap. game on. My wife and kids take off toward the bull. I follow with the camera. the wind is not right so we are going to have to sort of semi circle into him... We do the best we can and he is bugling and chuckling at our first setup. he is just over this little hill and won\'t commit.So I gather up and move down and around for a better setup.
We get setup and it is apparent the bull is starting to go away. I have my daughter call and next thing you know he is right above us almost within my sons shooting distance. He is raking and bugling grunting and telling us to come over. I thought for sure that my son was going to get a nice bull on his 2nd full day elk hunting with a tag in his pocket but it was not to be.... SOOO Close YET SOOO FAR. As the light fades away and it becomes too dark to shoot we back out and head back to the pickup. The bull still bugling.Darkness might have saved his life... This was really a fun experience for my whole family. My daughter and I were doing the calling for my wife and son. My son doesn\'t have football practice tonight so maybe I can get him a chance at another this evening. That bull is too far from home to go after.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back