So close

zclarkTOK

Mar 20, 2019
I have a private only tag and had a bull into about 25 yrds but couldn't get him over the fence to shoot. I raked, I cow called, I located, I was aggressive but he was weary. 

How do I get him the last yard? Any tips or tricks are welcome.

It was so cool though just doing that. Happy as I can be but hoping to take him down tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting him in to 25 yards is pretty good! I'd maybe try setting up farther away from the fence so he has to go over the fence to see where the calls are coming from.

Yeah I moved up and back and side to side. But couldn?t get him...

I was back this morning and had 3 bugling around me. My father in law saw the legs of one but he never showed his antlers. I was back in about 100-150 yards trying to draw them over. Still no luck.

I think it?s a matter of my sequencing. I often get a response and got a few to the whiny cow call (thanks Ike). But he wasn?t responding to my more aggressive bugles. He also has a growl that I just can?t replicate.

Anyway I think he?s bedded about 300-400 yds north on the public land -he?s still bugling - so my guess is that he and his friends will be back about 5:30. I?ll be doing some still hunting in the dark timber around midday.

If there?s anything anyone thinks of in the meantime I?m all ears.

Thanks all. And happy hunting.

zclarkTOK said:
I think it?s a matter of my sequencing. I often get a response and got a few to the whiny cow call (thanks Ike). But he wasn?t responding to my more aggressive bugles. He also has a growl that I just can?t replicate.

I would agree that this might be the issue. What sequencing are you using? If you are just randomly throwing different calls out there, it might not be telling the story the bull wants to hear. An example of a simple sequence would be what Corey's go-to sequence is: cow call and once the bull responds, hammer him with a challenge bugle. Even try to cut him off. That simple sequence could definitely work, especially if he responds to the cow calls.

I?m definitely working that sequence but he?s hanging up. It?s been my go to but apparently it?s (I?m) not convincing enough. Keep in mind this is my first year calling and I?ve been practicing for months but there?s nothing like real world application to set the men apart from...well, the elk. 

Simple is better for me if you have any suggestions. But I?m not afraid to try anything. And as bad as I may be they are responding but just not coming in.

zclarkTOK said:
I?m definitely working that sequence but he?s hanging up. It?s been my go to but apparently it?s (I?m) not convincing enough. Keep in mind this is my first year calling and I?ve been practicing for months but there?s nothing like real world application to set the men apart from...well, the elk. 

Simple is better for me if you have any suggestions. But I?m not afraid to try anything. And as bad as I may be they are responding but just not coming in.

The only other idea I have heard of would be to create a scenario in the bulls mind that there's a hot cow and another bull sneaks in to breed her. Do the cow calls by themselves for a bit, then some raking and stomping, like a bull comes to the cow and then starts displaying. Then maybe do some whinier cow sounds, like she's agitated or the other bull to come down and breed her. Sounds like an easy idea, just never tried it so couldn't tell you if it works, hahaha!

Move further back so he had to search for you and commit.
At 25yds he should?ve seen an elk and didn?t.

Another option would be a decoy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back